Brent,
Again, remind me where, exactly, I said lifted?

I never shot squirrels with hollow points, or, hyper velocity anything, and quit hunting them with long rifle because it was overkill. .22 short kills them dead enough, and, has done an excellent job for me on squirrels. I only hunted greys (by all means, eat every red you like, Im not interested in chipmunks or pocket gophers, either) and that was for the table.
I wouldnt say the short hits harder, that is impossible, but, whatever a .22 bullet does after it leaves the carcass of a squirrel, a .22 long rifle is going to do more of it than a short will. Ive recovered .22 shorts, and that is exactly what you want, all energy expended on target. The .22 long rifle is excessive energy for the task at hand, and, the .22 short gets the job done with less.
I had better results with the bushies falling out of the tree after hit either in the head or the shoulders with .22 short. I am, by far, not the only person who has noted this.

I never counted how many fit in the magazine. I doubt I ever put more than five of anything in a .22, regardless of how many they held.

Best,
Ted