I have "No Dog" in this fight- But being a long-in-the-tooth gun collector, favoring L.C. Smiths-- I felt "qualified" somewhat to comment on this fine looking Crown Grade 12- set up, IMO, for a live bird gun- especially the absence of a top tang safety. Smiths, like many other double guns from long-ago eras, have their "quirks", and also, like other gunsmiths from that era- the ranks of those gunsmiths who know these sidelock American produced doubleguns are getting thinner as time goes by.

But how in Blue Blazes did this thread drift in a "pissin' contest par excellence"-- and we ended up, or some of us anyway, into personal attacks on other members?? is beyond my limited understanding-

I sold a 3E 12 gauge to Stan a while ago-- and if and when I decide to offer for sale any other of my graded pre-1913 Smith 12 gauge shotguns, I have promised him that he will have "First right of refusal" on them-hands down. He is a gentleman of the first order-and I hate seeing his reputation attacked by anyone- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..