Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Stan;
With all due respect that's not the way, I read it. When this phenomenon first began appearing many "Suspected" detonation. It was ultimately "Proven" that it was not a detonation, but indeed was a pressure spike from an obstruction, the bullet being fired is the obstruction.

The only difference in this from sticking the muzzle of a shotgun in the mud & firing it, thus blowing the end of the barrel off is in the latter case the powder has all been burned, though the gas is still expanding. In the case of the rifle, it occurs so near the breech that the powder is still burning as well as the gas expanding. In Neither case though does a detonation occur.

I simply Refuse to use the Wrong term when I "KNOW" it is wrong as that only serves to propagate the Error..

I respect your constant diligence to use the correct terminology, Miller, but in today's world you may be tilting at windmills. It simply doesn't bother me when a word or phrase has taken on "a life of it's own", and the rest of the world completely understands the intended meaning of it.

While were at it, tho' ............ I imagine you don't much like the word "detonation" used in this regard, either. Gasoline doesn't really explode either, does it? it burns. If it actually did detonate, I expect it would blow the engine, as you say, to "smithereens". But, the most highly technical researchers and test labs use the word to describe this phenomenon that takes place inside the combustion chamber of an internal combustion engine.

https://www.enginelogics.com/engine-detonation/

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.