June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wild Skies, Jeremy Pearce, 2 invisible), 440 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,576
Posts546,565
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My son was on spring break last week, so at the last minute, we decided to make the trip to North Carolina from Louisiana. We spent most of Friday talking with vendors and looking at guns, we shot one round of clays on Friday before calling it a day. After looking at various sxs shotguns, talking with makers, engravers and gunsmiths, he gained a much larger appreciation for the skill and craftsmanship that goes into creating these guns. We went back on Saturday and shot another round of sporting clays and he participated in the youth event.

He was having a great trip before he won his age group in 5 stand and then to top it off, his name was drawn and he won a 12 gauge Parker with a custom made a wooden case from Pleasant Valley Enterprises. I am pretty sure the Parker came from The Parker Gun Collectors Association. After a ton of congratulations on the way out we hit the road and got home about 3:00 this morning.

He is already talking about wanting to make the next event.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Outstanding, Chad. Fine-looking young man you've got there. He stands out as the "class" in that group picture. Easy to see he's being raised right.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 04/28/19 02:01 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is the best thing I have read in awhile. Good on you for taking the young man!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations to your son Chad. Thanks for sharing this report. Great to see that he and other young men are taking an interest and showing enthusiasm for double guns and the shooting sports. It kinda runs counter to this sort of B.S. that we often see posted here:

Originally Posted By: King Brown
I haven't encountered loony behaviour---quite the opposite, more likely rolling of the eyes with look of resignation---when I mention in the company of strangers shooting birds and animals where I live in North America.

For real sport, London is the best place to drop that I'm hunter and trapper. Especially in a pub. First, a shocked silence. Then the old white-haired man must be joking, especially one with a sweet, old white-haired wife.

I taper off the Englanders with soothing words that I don't apologize for what I do, and my type are like dinosaurs who won't last forever. When we die it will be as they want it to be. Often my victims buy me a drink.

Sorry to inform King and his kind, but the next generation is just as likely to enjoy the shooting sports so long as we are willing to encourage them.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good photography is so much easier with great subject matter. Good job on both.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

An excellent last minute decision. Wonderful pictures and story.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

That was an awesome weekend for certain. Congratulations to your son, and you too.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing some good times, he'll remember it forever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations to a fine young shooter and congrats on your name being drawn for the Parker. It looks like you were down on the Dove Field where the Parker-Smith Side x Side event is held.
Good shooting to you in the future.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fantastic-- your son has been well trained in safe gun handling indeed. In one of the earlier photos, where he has the Parker gun broken and the muzzles apparently resting on his show- looks to be, by the forearm latch, at least a Vulcan grade- ditto the photo where he is shown shooting at clays with the same Parker-

The shotgun in the wooden case seems to be a Trojan grade- just as good a shooting shotgun as any of the other Parker grade guns--same gun barrel steel and forged frame. I treasure the Parker my late Grandfather left to me, years ago-- they are, indeed, heirlooms to be used afield, and not "hoarded in a steel vault"- IMO anyway-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chad,
A wonderful experience for both of you. That Parker will be treasured by him forever I'm sure.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

RWTF, good eye. Yes, he was shooting a well used Parker VH 20 gauge. This weekend was actually his first time shooting double triggers, he complained at first but quickly learned to appreciate them. The stock on this gun needs a new butt plate and some refinishing, and at 13 years of age, I think he will enjoy helping with this project. Perhaps down the line, the barrels will be sent off for refinishing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story all the way around! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes- thanks for your kind comment. I also noted in another photo where he is holding the Parker with breech open- the std. "Doll's head" rib extension- not found on the Trojan series. A friend, we hunted grouse together in the 1975-1985 time frame here in MI- has his "family Parker"- a 20 bore VHE- open choked for quails- now he lives in GA- still uses it for quail and dove, and will, someday, pass it on to his Grandson-- nice tradition indeed. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is excellent! I was there and it was great to see your son shoot and then win the raffle gun! Hope to see you both next year too!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The VH 20 was a good honest gun and the kind I have for my collection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.