I'm often an oddball. In this case it's because I see a shotgun more as a tool than an object d'art. If a gun won't do what I expect of it no amount of artistic work can satisfy me. That said, I really appreciate some hand engraving. But, I'd much rather have laser engraving than some of the hand engraving I have seen come out of Spain and Pakistan. The best of both worlds is to have a gun that shoots "lights out" for you, and looks like a dream, too.

But, when it really comes down to it, pretty is as pretty does ............. for me. A good friend once won a shoot-off for champion of a side by side event at a major sporting clays shoot. He was shooting against a gent who was using a Purdey. My buddy was shooting a very worn Parker with several wraps of electrical tape holding the forend in place. After my friend won a spectator walked up to him and said "You've just got to respect a man that wins with a taped up gun".

So, I may be in the minority, but I'm not alone. When you're listed as "also ran", nobody remembers that your gun was hand engraved. No one on the bird field will either, but they will remember how you shot. I'd rather be remembered that way than for what I have.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.