June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 458 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,976
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I once caught a glimpse of a cougar in the UP. They are around, but not very numerous.

As far as snakes go, if you go very far west in SD, you will find them. They're definitely present on the Ft Pierre Grasslands. My dogs aren't snake broke either. If I go out that way, I use the rattler vaccine. There's some question about how effective it is, but I know a vet out there who recommends it, and another vet from here in WI who uses it on his dogs when he goes on an early prairie grouse hunt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Farthest West I have ever hunted is just west of Aberdeen. Didnt see any snakes or cactus, but, we hunted in near blizzard conditions. After the storm passed, the temps never got above -20, with that constant 15-20 mph wind out of the northwest, that blows anytime the sun is shining on the northern prairie. The locals all seemed to know we were from MN, we were the only ones still out hunting. Everyone else was at the bar.

Very memorable and productive trip.

No lions.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, what little I know was relayed to me and only as accurate as word of mouth can be. According to what my buddy was told, the horse was slashed consistent with cougar claws. The horse had severe blood loss from neck wounds. This happened at Black Creek which is a community just off I-16 at /SR-280. Black Creek feeds into the Ogeechee River which is the eastern border of Fort Stewart. Gil

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh they have rattle snakes in Western S.D. I have not encountered them with the dogs but I did nearly step on one a few years back during the early Muzzleloader season. First time I have heard one rattle that was not captive. I was not thinking about snakes at the time but luckily I did heed the warning. I never knew I could jump so far backwards using a single foot. Scared the heck out of me.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

About 10 years ago, when the government biologists where still proclaiming no cougars in Ontario despite eyewitness accounts, a horse was badly injured on a farm down close to Niagara Falls.

Multiple deep slashes to its belly and hind quarters. I think the government said it was from a coyote.

My dad saw one (10 yards) in Manitoba just south of Winnipeg one spring morning about 2003 when he was out walking his dog. The dog was a mastiff-chessie cross of about 120 pounds. No trouble from the cat. Manitoba biologists were busy pretending they werent in that province either.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/14/19 11:01 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

We've got large numbers of lions here in N ID but no poisonous snakes. I'll take the lions anytime over the snakes. Anytime I've hunted early season chukars/huns in S ID, I've been on edge, knowing I could bump into a snake anytime.

A few years back, hunting Brownlee my friend and I pulled over in a wide spot on the road. We were planning on walking up a tight little canyon down the road a couple of hundred yards but as we were getting our gear organized a 4 wheeler with a dog box strapped on, pulled into the canyon entrance and the guy headed up the canyon. We stood there are few moments deciding where we would go when a shot rang out. Shortly the guy came out and said he'd just blasted a rattlesnake and due to the tightness of the canyon didn't want to entertain the chance of bumping another snake, particularly with his dog.

Since the guy didn't hunt the canyon, my friend decided we should give it a try. I walked in as far as where the rattlesnake had been shot(laying along the trail), looked at the tightness of the canyon and told him I'd wait at the vehicle for him.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know as little, or, as much as my dog does about poisonous snakes, and what to do when you encounter one in the wild.

Never had the experience. Not likely I will, if I am content with Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock, and Pheasants.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
....if I am content....

I think it's good that you keep the door open. If you head out west, stay observant otherwise don't worry about the snakes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil;
Back from 1956 to 1964, I made 9 two week trips to Fort Stewart with the TNNG. I could easily believe anything you said was found there in the wild animal line. We all called it Swamp Stewart though rather than Fort Stewart, seemed more fitting to us TN HillBillies.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Snakes really are a way of life for us here. We learn to be careful where we put our hands. Believe it or not, most poisonous snake bites here are on the hands, not the feet or legs. A friend "got hisself rattler bit" last summer when he reached down and put part of his hand under an object on the ground, with the intention of moving it. A rattler was under there watching the opening, felt threatened, and struck. He recovered without too much damage.

I remind my son and grandsons that anyplace attractive to mice or rats is attractive to snakes. They hang out in the same places. The only time you are really safe from rattlers here during the summer is when the temps approach the three digit numbers. They just cannot stay out in that heat, and retreat to seclusion in cooler places. But, early mornings, late evenings, and at night ....... all bets are off.

BTW, it helps to be lucky too. An old cotton farmer, now deceased, was "rattler bit" on three separate occasions in the fields near here ............. all three were dry bites.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.