A very happy JB arrived at my home yesterday complete with the cased Atkin!
JB has asked me to share with you my thoughts on first sight of the gun.
A 12G S.L.E by Henry Atkin, No1 of a pair,circa 1895.An excellent example of the work of Henry Atkin, described by Teasedale-Buckle in his book, "Experts on Guns and Shooting"[Published in 1900] as one of the best gunmakers practicing in the London Trade.
The best quality replacement Damascus Barrels are engraved on the rib "Fitted by Webley and Scott limited, Birmingham." The "Limited",indicates that the barrels were made some time after 1897.
The barrel dimensions were measured and compared to the proof marks and confirmed to be," in proof". The chamber length was 2 1/2.Wall thickness of the Barrels was at least .025.
You will have seen from the pictures and comments by others that JB has a fine addition to his collection.
If this was my gun all that I would do is to; strip, clean and refinish the wood.

NB:
It is highly likely that the Damascus barrel blanks used to re;barrel this gun were drawn from old stock made By W & C Scott.so as to match the original barrel material.
It is not uncommon to encounter re;barreled #1 guns; likely because it was the #1 gun that got the most use!

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/09/19 09:31 AM.

Roy Hebbes