You guys are, of course, thinking of SE bobwhites. In the Southwest, gambles are seen on the ground running like rats far more than they are seen in the air. I don't know if anyone ground sluices them or not, but I didn't when I lived there.

In Iowa, there was a tradition of shooting pheasants with .22s (usually along roads or tractor paths). I don't know if that is still legal and I have never even seen anyone doing it, but back in the 90s they tried to rescind that law and caught holy hell for it. By now, I imagine it is probably not legal as all the folks that did it, are now almost certainly passed.

The same is true of grouse hunting in Minnesota. .22s were commonly used even in my childhood years, and I met a number of people, mostly kids, that hunted that way. And interestingly, they often had a bird in hand, when I did not. It took some skills to ground shoot a grouse in the head with a .22 up there.

All of these were respected ways to kill a meal back in their day. Doubtful that anyone does it now.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]