June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (FelixD), 391 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,586
Posts546,750
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Simple answer to the original post is Yes its the way its always been done .
I doubt if any one can say why .I agree it dose seem a little odd but thats the gun trade for you . A little odd !

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, jOe, I'm talking about guns that were built for a right-handed man, with the triggers obviously so, and having the right barrel with the tighter choke than the left. When you see cast off in a stock, there's a very high likelihood it was built for a righty. Not many lefties want a gun with cast off (which would be "cast on" for them).

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A former co-worker of mine had a little 20 gauge Ithaca Flues "Bird" gun. It had been ordered special from Ithaca by his left-handed uncle. They neither reversed the trigger placements nor the choking, but simply "Twisted" the trigger faces to the left in this instance. If you will note on most doubles the triggers have a slight twist to the right, this one had it to the left.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of American sxs guns that were built as the standard 28" M & F have been modified to open the left barrel to IC to turn a duck gun into bird gun. You can do what Stan suggests and shoot the far bird first with the tighter barrel or you can pull the rear trigger first on a covey rise with a little practice...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Every Wednesday after our black powder skeet shoot we sat around and talked SxSs with Ed Mason and Charlie Lindsey holding court..I recall when I first got interested in hammer guns I studied every aspect of them. One day I remarked that it was great how they had designed the double triggers...(remember I'm left handed) we were looking at a gun...with gun in hand I showed them how after shooting the front trigger my finger just swepted back to the rear trigger for the next shot.

With that I was told how wrong I was and that I was shooting a right handed gun...the back trigger is always hidden to keep your finger from hitting the back upon recoil.

A short time later I was shooting at the 5 stand with another guy...no gloves or barrel guard the barrels had gotten too hot to hold.

Then it happened a couple of times...a double fire. My buddy said you better get Ed to look at that gun...I replied no the gun is fine I just had a shooting lesson.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right on the money.. The late John Olin had his M21's custom set-up for left barrel first- but he was right handed-- At least that's what I believe I had read about him and his gunning "preferences".. All my side-by-side shotguns have the right barrel more open than the left-- except my Smith LONGRANGE-- both are full choked, so I guess it really doesn't make a great deal of difference with that set-up.

I agree 100% with Stan here, even though we don't have dove seasons in MI--shooting barn pigeons and crows over field decoys, you often get incomers, so using the tighter choked left hand barrel first is often a good call, especially on multiple incomers, ditto on ducks if you use a double. As steel shot is now the law of the land, I use Model 12's- 12 gauge full choked for waterfowling nowadays. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, Joe- if you follow MLB in the 1930's era-- Dizzy Dean was the commentator for a Cards game, talking about a promising rookie pitcher who was able to pitch equally well with either "paw"--

"This kid can pitch with either hand OK- guess he's an amphibian"..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed, Olde Chap-- and how about one of the "proofs" of that enlightened era-- that being that all witches had 3 nipples?? Fancy that, ey wot??? Foxy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox you might need to get your medication checked...

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are all kind of things you can speculate about and do...but 99% or better of double trigger guns you'll see are for right hand shooters...by design.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.