I have shot both the B&E as well as the Longthorne.

I met the principles of B&E at gun makers night in London, and then shot one of their guns at the WLSS. I shot the Longthorne in Scotland.

The Longthorne’s are definitely for people who embrace the latest and greatest, most modern technology. They clearly are for early adopters. Their barrel making technology, is a side benefit of their super precision aerospace work, so I think their factory probably has a greater base of existing orders for machine time than B&E did. And they are non-lead ready.

The B&E’s however, were more of an extension of the existing best gun marketplace, embracing modern technology and materials, and just enough hand labor to keep the cost down. Beautiful shot guns in all regards.

They were an extension of the existing marketplace with a few refinements. You won’t open, cock, and close, a more smoothly operating side by side ever. But, evidently that wasn’t enough to keep them in business. I wish them well, and as far as the migration of their employees, I think most of them came from Holland and Holland anyway. As I recall in my talks with them, the principles were the former manufacturing directors or lead manufacturing engineers, from Holland and Holland.

The gap between the very best 95% machine made shotguns, and the lowest level handmade shotguns, is so close, that excluding engraving, one is hard-pressed to identify the value difference.

I think it makes the remaining hand made shotguns more cherishable.

I am glad people keep trying their hands in this mature marketplace.

Out there doing it best I can.