Originally Posted By: buzz
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Originally Posted By: buzz
A certified Browning repairman told me that Jones. Thats all I know about the statement, but its a fact thats what he told me. Franchi says not to put anything on their friction sleeve. Try shooting an A5 dry....forget about it. Are you an A5 expert or what Jones? crazy

I'm down to five of them Buzz.

They are all reliable guns, in ALL weather unlike ones lubed with 30 weight oil.

You are repeating unsound advice.
I guess the advice isnt so unsound since it came from the inventor, John Moses Browning

From correspondence JMB to Winchester circa 1900 cited in Browning/Genty:

"... the gun requires no oil at all, and if you should oil it, it is not necessary to fill it full."

The 'oil' of the time, and well into the 20th century was whale oil. Light petroleum oils such as are common today were not common in Browning's day.

SAE wasn't organized until 1904, and didn't define '30 weight motor oil' until 1911.

The design does not require 30 weight oil, and in fact 30 weight oil will likely lead to complete failure to cycle in cold weather.

Your quoted advice from Franchi is closer to correct.

As I stated, this is a friction system. Friction adjustments are provided. If any lubricant is used in the system (tallow, Rem oil, other lightweight lube of your choice) the primary property needed is temperature stability. It needs to not get significantly more viscous as temperature drops.

30 weight oil does meet that criteria.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble