I have always been fascinated with versatility. I also have an affection for the German's quest to perfect it. I know many will argue that "a jack of all trades, is a master of none", and I admit I can't point to a personal example to refute this. I own an aging German Wirehair and a young Deutsch Drahthaar. I love both dearly, but, compared to my buddy's setters, they are both "flushing pointers" and "crushing retrievers" at best. They exemplify "masters of none", unless you include cat extermination or couch domination.

It should come as no surprise that I have wanted a drilling for awhile. I had a detailed "wish list" which included, the "versatile" 16ga for the tubes, a claw mounted scope (preferably variable), splinter forend, longish barrels, nice wood, game scenes, and a horn trigger guard. I know some of these things seem quirky, but I cant quite explain it. This was my ideal. I thought a 6.5x55 under barrel would be awesome, but I found they are VERY rare, at least in Canada.

So began my search, that included going to auctions, surfing the web, and talking to old German guys at gun shows. I found a couple I was tempted by here and there, but they usually were in high condition and very expensive. Most importantly, they weren't "exactly" what I was looking for, and if I was going to lay out serious dough, it had to be the one.

While loafing around on the internet and discussing combo guns on another forum, I got a tip that a Canadian gun importing outfit just got a shipment in from Europe and there were a few drillings in the lot. I checked the website and there it was! after a 2 second declaration to my wife that I was about to make a purchase, I furiously began typing in a "I will take it" fearing the response "out of stock". All was good and the payment went through.

So, into my life comes a 1960 Sauer 3000. 16x16 over 7x65R with a Hensolt 1.5x6 claw mount scope. Its a lux dural with really nice wood, and game scenes on the receiver. HORN TRIGGER GUARD EVEN!

Happy Happy Happy...couldn't wait to get it in the mail.