Originally Posted By: Jeremy Pearce
Enjoyed recent discussions of trends in values for British guns, given the advent of millennials and their lack of interest, no-tox shot restrictions, more large collections going to market, etc.

Most here probably agree about a current "soft" market for user-grade vintage guns, and especially for those in 12 gauge. Guns of this stripe seem to sit on shelves almost indefinitely. Classifieds for some of these guns appear to go unanswered.

So what do you think the long-term trend will be for sleeved guns?

My own knee-jerk reaction would be something like: "A worse outlook than for guns with original barrels...even those with borderline wall thicknesses."

Therefore, is a sleeved Boss (with minimum wall thickness of .028 or .030) worth half of a Boss with borderline barrels (.020 or less and/or heavy pitting)?

Or a third of an original? Even less?

I'd like to hear some informed opinions on this subject.

As a kicker: Is it possible in coming years that sleeved guns may actually rise in value, as millennial shooters already using Berettas or Krieghoffs with monoblocs defy the conventional trend and rise to embrace them? (Younger shooters may want 2.75-inch chambers and better wall thicknesses for shooting modern/cheaper shells and to better handle no-tox shot.)

Where are we headed...any insights?

I do not agree the market on a sleeved gun versus a .020 minimum thickness barreled gun (which for most of us too thin to risk shooting) would equal 50% of value. Given the sleeving is a quality job maintaining the handling dynamics.

I believe good sleeving makes an otherwise unshootable gun useful again. Good sleeving is out there.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS