The model 21 as I recall started life in the early 1930's. To date I cannot recall one feature of the 21 which has been "Un-Prejudically" shown to be of superior design to those "Classics" which began life in the 1800's. In fact many of them are of superior design. What the 21 had going for it strength wise was it made use of more modern steels. My personal view-point is the 21 is of inferior design to many of its predecessor & contemporary doubles but made up for it with stronger steels. My first double was a pre WWI J Stevens Arms & Tool Co gun. It had a "Cigar Box" shaped frame with coil mainspring & cocked very much like a 21. It bolted with a wedge shaped bolt as an extension of the top lever in a plain straight rib extension, thus bolted further from the hinge than a 21 which gave it better leverage. It was a low end grade & to my recollection was neither chopper lumped not mono-blocked. It was still tight & on face. It was steel barreled so at the time not knowing any better I did not hesitate to feed it nay off the shelf ammo, which it took in stride. The only feature of the 21 which makes it so "Valuable" is the Name "Winchester". I seriously doubt the name CSMC will ever achieve the status as that "Big Red W".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra