Originally Posted By: Chukarman
Originally Posted By: keith

His rust bluing was amazing and without peer in this country. We had many long discussions about it. He was extremely particular and specific about every tiny detail even including what solution to wash the barrels with before applying his rusting solution. He told me that a lot of people tried to get him to reveal or sell his formulas to them, and he said he often told people it was all in the prep and that he simply used a commercial rusting solution such as Laurel Mountain, Mark Lees, or Pilkington's. I only know of one other person who Doug gave the formula to, and that was Tony Treadwell. ... I've seen the bluing done by the other gentleman James mentioned above, and know exactly who he is talking about, because Doug did compare his work with me as well. While an extremely talented gunsmith, I still think Doug's slow rust bluing was better.

I would like to hear the criteria by which you judge the quality? Are you comparing to English barrel blackers as the standard? What make British work stand out from any others?

Thanks.
All you need to do is to view the photos of Donald Dalls' book "PURDEY gun and rifle makers--The Definitive Period" and you will see the "standard" that is produced by the Johnson family that others try to duplicate. And there are a few in the UK now that are producing such work to that standard, and one of those(a grandson of Johnson's, I believe) comments on this site from time to time. Whoever is blacking barrels for Westley Richards meets the standard. You can view their website.

Last edited by bushveld; 03/12/18 10:09 PM.