June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis, FlyChamps, HalfaDouble, 1 invisible), 230 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,512
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no such thing as minimum wall thickness to pass proof and there never has been. Ever.
They either pass proof or not. Wall thickness is immaterial and not even measured.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks very much for all the good comments. Much appreciated.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

popular wisdom suggests that one should not shoot a fluid steel barreled gun with a barrel wall thickness of less than .030 inches...so why take the risk, of shooting a damascus barreled gun with such thin barrels? makes no sense to me...when there are plenty of fine heavier barreled damascus guns that are safe and fun shooters with black powder loads?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

“Popular wisdom” what is your reputable source for this fact?

While some may throw out a number, it is a throw not necessarily a fact based on testing. This why there is a proof house to provide some reliable basis for judgement.

While 0.025 is on the low end, as others have already noted it depends on where. My father and I have put more than a thousand shells (custom low pressure sub 6k) through a pair of Damascus barrels barrels which are below 0.030.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blue Grouse is totally correct: MWT's have never figured in the proof test. The Proof House RECOMMENDED a MWT of 20 thou until steel loads became common and has now increased it to closer to 30 thou.
Ed Good: there are relatively few damascus barrels out there that measure in excess of 0.025" MWT's. They may have started life with nice thick walls but old corrosive primers, rebrowning etc have reduced most to high 20's at best, many are in the low 20's.
Karl Graebner: when measuring MWT's, you slide the barrel up and down the gauge looking for the minimum reading, whether it is just in front of the choke or just in front of the chamber.
I exaggerate because it is very difficult with a traditional MWT gauge to measure up close to the muzzle and most MWT gauges are about 15" long so unless one suspects something scary, one stops at that point from the muzzle.
There is no particular place that one states the MWT for, it is any spot on the barrel. If it was in a 'bad' place then I would state that in describing the gun.
As a point of interest, most barrels made in the UK from the last 1/4 of C19th to present do not taper from muzzle to breach.
They are often described at 'Eiffel Tower' profile, ie. they taper to around the mid point then the MWT's get slightly greater toward the muzzle. I understand that gives better dynamics to the barrel, reducing overall weight but increasing the strength of the tube near its end to accommodate the choke and risk of impact damage.
This means that if the bores are properly parallel (often not the case with guns that have been 'creatively' bored [!]) the thinnest MWT's measurement will be in the mid section of the barrels. On post 1880 guns, I find this is usually the case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby,
Great explaination, thank you for posting. Having purchased my first English double after owning several other SxS's had led to my curiosity.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe it would be unwise to purchase a vintage double, of any maker, without knowing, or being able to measure accurately oneself the end of chamber, forcing cone, 9” from breech, 9” from muzzle, and exactly where the MWT is found.
And breech to muzzle bore measurement looking for a bulge not apparent on external examination.
Bad things happen to good guns after 100 years or so.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZIo0y746UsSRZIgRuuxwAbZjSBHitO_EanvwLYc-kGA/edit

Bro. Toby's "Eiffel Tower" profile is well said and fits my experience with U.S. makers also

Standard dimensions of each barrel tested as part of the 1891 Birmingham Proof House Report from "The Field" March 7, 1891 Vol 77:325
http://books.google.com/books?id=inQCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA9
NOTE: these dimensions do NOT represent MWT, but show the "Eiffel Tower" profile. The chambers are not cut nor do the barrels have choke constriction

Mark Twain
“It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed (or kill a bystander with a chunk of shrapnel) once.”

Last edited by Drew Hause; 02/21/18 04:53 PM. Reason: Added image for clarity
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Experts on Guns and Shooting", George Teasdale Teasdale-Buckell, 1900
http://books.google.com/books?id=4xRmHkr7Lp8C&pg=PA526&source

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My personal policy is MWT has to at or north of .030. That eliminates some nice guns from my consideration, but my fingers appreciate knowing the barrels have extra meat in them. Again, just my personal policy.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an untouched Damascus CH Parker 16 and Crossed Chisels measured it at .018 and .022. Both thin spots were about 6 inches from the barrel ends. The barrels had not been honed, they were just struck that thin. Far as I know it is still knocking birds down with the appropriate ammo.

Last edited by tut; 02/21/18 05:58 PM.

foxes rule
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.