Not game guns but trap and live pigeon guns that competed back in the nineteenth century. Some Lefevers were there but it was mostly the Parkers and LC Smiths doing the heavy lifting.

Live bird and inanimate target competitions were major sporting events at the end of the 19th Century, and the “Top Guns” were the celebrity athletes. They shot for large sums of money before crowds of spectators, and the best could afford the best, which until about 1895 was considered to be a British gun. January 3, 1878 Capt. A.H. Bogardus broke 5000 glass balls at 18 yard’s rise in 10 hours 40 minutes 35 seconds, missing 163, using a W&C Scott with 3 1/2 dram 1 1/4 oz. 8s.

Jan., 1879 The Chicago Field Jamaica Plank Rd., L.I., New York
W&C Scott was the choice for most shooters with a pair of Remingtons and a Moore and a Williams & Powell. I regret to say the New Yorkers took the contest 100-93 though the birds were a good lot, and many being white, were difficult to hit while close to the snow.

First DuPont Grand Smokeless Championship Handicap Live-bird Tournament October 1895

Fred Gilbert (L.C. Smith) and Charles “Hayward” Macalester (Purdey) tied at 25; Gilbert won the shoot-off 5/5 to 4/5. Charles Wagner (Parker), E.B. Coe (Smith), Capt. John L. Brewer (Greener), and A.H. King (Scott Monte Carlo) tied at 24; Wagner won the shoot-off taking 3rd place. Harvey McMurchy was undoubtedly pleased when he learned that Gilbert won the Du Pont trophy, using a Smith gun. It is also gratifying to us to know that the big prize was won by a gentleman sportsman using an American made gun, which was loaded with American made smokeless powder, shot and wadding, in American made shells.

By the middle of 1895, U.S. maker's guns were being used more than British guns, and at the head of the parade was Hunter Arms Co.'s L.C. Smith. Three Iowans, Fred Gilbert, Charles Budd, and Charles Grimm; Rolla Heikes and Charles Young of Ohio, “Jack” Fanning of San Francisco, and Harvey McMurchy had been or were currently using Smith guns to win major tournament and Cup challenges.

I could go on but enough said. smile