Canvas, I absolutely understand. As you all know I shot a 1979 870 for 35 years before I was enticed back into the SxS fold...and that old 870 was chambered for 2 3/4 and has no rib and no changeable choke..and son #2 has it now and it will last another 100 years. But he has an extra barrel with changeable chokes (as soon as I had to get out the grinder to correct the modern imperfections at the chamber that led it to jam - as you guys point out...the new Remingtons aren't like the old).

Other son, I gave him a Marine Magnum Remington 870 nickel plated with an extra 28" barrel, chambered for 3"....he does kayaking and trekking up in southern Alaska in a salt-water environment in a mid-latitude rain-forest with Bears...Wrote a line about this.

And for me, the most pleasure I've ever had was shooting my 1898 Reilly hammer gun with 30" Damascus barrels. This is not to denigrate anyone...or any of our guns which are beautiful and useful and workmen like and balance perfectly. It's just to say...those boys don't have the money to own and maintain an old gun...Dau-in-law does but she will only shoot occasionally.

And I guess it's to say a modern Fox isn't an old Fox...but does it pretend to be?

(Uhh...what was my point? 2 scotches sitting in Central Africa at 2130...doesn't lead to coherence.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/26/17 05:12 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch