Originally Posted By: ed good
most ithaca made field guns that have passed thru my hands are typically lighter than other american made guns...as such, it just seems like a good idea to use light loads in these old guns, in order to help preserve the old wood...plus, any pre ww2 made gun should probably only be fired with light loads, in an effort to keep the old, dried out or often oil soaked wood from cracking...

So, is this advice aimed toward original guns, or, those that have suffered little round fisheyes in the metal from a "gunsmith" burning them with a propane torch, or, both? The torched guns would have had their hardening removed in an uneven fashion, I could see they would be close to wall hangers at that point, but, original guns, even if the color was gone would/should still be safe to use, with the loads Ithaca promoted for them, right?

I wouldn't use proof loads in any gun, but, out of my own Ithaca Nitro, I fear no normal 2 3/4" load, heavy load, promotional (often the worst offenders, pressure wise) or light. Thankfully, nobody with a torch of some sort ever got near it.

Best,
Ted