June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 416 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,009
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
How can somebody still not know what pressure loads are safe for a Damascus gun these days?

Anytime you shoot a Damascus barreled gun 100 years plus old you're putting your life or limb at risk....

Some may get some hidden adrenaline rush while others may harbor deep suicidal thoughts ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Dr. Drew for that information. I feel a lot better that my 80 year old Nitro Special was built with these loads developing that kind of chamber pressure were available.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
How can somebody still not know what pressure loads are safe for a Damascus gun these days?

Anytime you shoot a Damascus barreled gun 100 years plus old you're putting your life or limb at risk....

Some may get some hidden adrenaline rush while others may harbor deep suicidal thoughts ?

Any time you get in a car or on an airplane you are putting your life at risk.....

The question is how much risk and is the risk worth the reward? It has nothing to do with suicidal thoughts or hidden adrenaline rush.

jOe, are you looking for the nanny state to protect us all?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Yes, just like going to bed there is remote possibility of not waking up again. crazy
The goal is good risk management. When shooting old guns they should be in sound mechanical order and low pressure ammo must be used at all times. We are lucky to have company like RST to provide such shell for us.

JOe, you just have to share state of mind with your ancestors when they stood in row opposite of men shooting lead round balls into their ranks. This was when war was chivalrous where poor civilians were largely spared. How do you suppose they could go on from day to day? Faith in God. That is how.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Yes, just like going to bed there is remote possibility of not waking up again. crazy
The goal is good risk management. When shooting old guns they should be in sound mechanical order and low pressure ammo must be used at all times. We are lucky to have company like RST to provide such shell for us.

Hey, here's some more sage advice from a guy who doesn't even own any vintage doubles, or any modern double guns either.

Maybe he'll offer some more reloading advice again... and then slip up less than one month later, and admit that he never reloads ammunition.

Post # 472881 on 2/22/17- Thread :" 16 ga loads not filling the hull?"--
I use plastic particles they use in buffered shot. Not sure where I got it from, but it works pretty well. Depending on manufacturer I think it's called Grex or something similar. It fills up the cup a little and provides wonderful cushioning for the shot above it. Very professional.

Post #475337 on 3/17/17- Thread: "Reloading Herter's 16 Gauge Shells from Cabela's"--
Time = money. I always buy factory loads and never re-load for that reason. In free time I like other activities that involve fresh air like hiking, mountain biking, fishing, hunting,.....

Of course, on the internet you can pretend to be anything and pathologically post crap that isn't true... and some naive souls will actually believe you. Some actually don't see that as trolling, and defend their sick and dishonest behavior.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Received several more full size and high resolution images. The resized images posted here have much less detail.

I'm with Stan; looks like a primary chamber metal failure. I don't see a ring bulge. The top rib extension screw (and the receiver does have the doll's head slot) appears NOT to involve the barrel as the hole ends superior to the extractor guide rod.
No response to the word I've circulated hoping to evaluate the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

from the amount of case showing -

do we know if the gun was high condition -
or highly restored?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus barreled shotguns are like a ticking time bomb without a definitive timer....not a matter of will it blow the question is when will it blow ?

I've shot and owned more than my share of old damascus barreled shotguns...there comes a time to realize they are just curios and relics from the past that have long sense served their purpose.

The kool factor will only last so long.

Ps....Keith I don't know why you waste your time replying to the non gun owning idiOts on this board.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The chamber walls are pitted although we do not know what it looks like on the blown side.

Judging by the wood the violence of the blow seems way past what a factory shell could do.

I was told from a reliable source that the shooter blacked out from the incidence but only received a small scratch on his forehead.

I was not there.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to hear...he and the bystanders were awful lucky.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.