May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Der Ami, canvasback, eeb, dearmer, Borderbill, 2 invisible), 500 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,551
Posts546,230
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen that phenomenon as well. First day of dove season, then back to the golf course. Same with the deer opener; once and done. I don't get it...Geo

Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Man I wish Michigan was closer, as I would jump at a chance to go dove hunting (Can't hunt them in MI, we just raise them for you Southern Boys ! ) I try and get out bird hunting whenever I can but have cut back on deer hunting love going to camp but doesn't matter to me if I get a deer or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Read this thread one morning earlier this week , prior to leaving for the Dove Field.....Thinking of people I know , (shooters with varying levels of enthusiasm) I conclude most Dove Hunters/Shooters of my acquaintance are opening weekend types.... It is a social event for most .

Me....I really admire them as a target..... I live , by choice, where large populations occur, and like Jon, put considerable effort into making shooting opportunities more certain....
That said, I am by nature a solitary shooter on most outings.
Have enjoyed getting some young men I am quite fond of into the Field , and their enthusiasm is strong....If distance and careers did not interfere they would certainly be here much more often....
I think there is indeed slight interest by the average Outdoorsman in Dove shooting as a Season long pursuit ....

Me, I am going to a top notch field this afternoon, I have open invitations out to a FEW friends who share my interest in the shooting.....Whether they join me or not I'll have a fine outing ....Thinking about taking the .410 , but those gusty winds tell me it could be quite frustrating.....

I hope everyone's early season outings have been successful.....It is the BEST time of the year....and only going to get better as other seasons open.

Last edited by mel5141; 09/19/17 10:40 PM.
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I fixed my hinting problem. I took three younger hunters. Two had hunted with me and my sons and one who never hunted dove before. It was a great day. Wait until they find out you don't get limits every time out. Polite, safe and enjoyable company there were. When finished one said he never knew hunting was this much action. I did explain to him that most times it is not. More like a lot of waiting then frantic action.

One hunter asked me if I was going hunting Sunday. Then he and two others convinced me that I should go, and take them for good luck. Took a lot of effort. We went to another field today and had steady shooting for two and a half hours. Another great day.

Best lesson they learned beyond gun safety at all times is to find birds. Put two shooters on a peg and had one spot for the one who was retrieving. They found everything they shot. It did take a few minutes in a couple cases. But when I explained that I don't shoot more birds if I have one lost they understand the rules. You shoot it, you need to find it. My fields are fairly clean and easy to find birds in. Plus I always figure if you learn to do it right the first time you can do it right every time.

So next week we all will shoot again and even one of the fathers is going to come with us. He better not shoot poorly or fail to find a bird because his son knows what is expected. I did warn the youngsters that weather could send the birds out of here any day. We have food, water and even a couple good roost but mother nature decides where the birds will be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me too, Eric- we almost had us a dove season in The Great Lake State, but the "antis" prevailed. I go down to Southern Indiana in late Sept. with a hunting pal who grew up in that area-- about every other year. So far, this Sept has been dry and exceptionally warm in Central MI--do see a few doves on area farms I hunt for off-season barn pigeons and the Sept early Goose seasons- sure wish they were a legal game bird here.

Love deer hunting, now I share a blind with a son-in-law (also my Summertime woodchucking partner)-- but don't really care if I ever shoot another white-tail here in MI--Like the late Gene Hill once wrote:"Sometimes you come to discover the great joy of owning a good gun is the greater pleasure that comes from not having to shoot it."

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish I lived closer. Vt considers dove to be song birds and as such there is no open season.

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tasty song birds for certain.

Reminds me of the old joke about a man caught ahooting a Hawk. In court he claimed he only killed it was because he was starving. The judge said if he was starving, eating a hawk was not a real crime and dismissed the case. Then told the game warden to show a little compassion to a starving fellow. As the fellow was leaving the court the Judge asked him what hawk tasted like. Not as dry as a snowy owl but more than a falcon was the reply. Case closed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.