Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
Personally I can't imagine any instance where I would rather have a plastic case of any kind over the aluminum ones I use....

....Do you really think that a properly fitted breakdown case is somehow inferior?

Pure opinion here Dr. I believe you when you say your experiences are bullet proof cases.

What I have seen for myself is that aluminum cases are more complicated with mechanical parts like hinges, latches, handle attachments, etc. that can all fail to some degree or another. Possibly, not outright failure, but aluminum definitely can distort to some degree of failure or marginal usability. I've seen many situations where some type of strapping had to be cobbled up for peace of mind that a case would stay closed.

To me, the fitted gun case is nice, but air travel means gear compromises. The gun is important, but that can be thought of all the other odds and ends someone decides to take along. To me single duty items don't always justify the extra effort they take to lug around and shoehorn into smaller rental vehicles than one might have had back home. And, coming home, things don't always pack back up as neatly and nicely.

I do understand that air travel can mean many different things, but weight, size and number of items usually come into play. If someone's setup with a high end concierge hunt, then no worries. I do know that a rental Suburban with three guys and their gear kind of looks like the beverly hillbillies rolled into town, but of course, even when I reserve a suburban the gal behind the counter still tries to pull the explorer is in the same category song and dance because all the suburbans are still out.

edit to add, the cases in your link look to be very nice cases at reasonable prices.

Last edited by craigd; 08/16/17 02:21 PM.