June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Pwog), 406 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,611
Posts546,975
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, I wouldn't open the chokes. I have two 16 gauge Parker Hammer guns, that are both choked about full. I use spreader loads and shoot low gun skeet in the 20's. If you choose to sell the little 20 gauge, I would be interested in talking with you.
asphaltdave@comcast.net

Sidelock
Sidelock

The same argument about opening chokes "because you bought it to use" can be used when discussing cutting the stock for your eight year old or cutting the barrels because "I missed a grouse because I hit the muzzle on a tree." Do what you want, but by 1985, your gun's value may suffer from its modifications. Oh, my gosh, it's 2007 already and we have learned a little about Damascus guns and screwing with them. A fellow down the street from me sleeved or rebarrelled probably 500 medium to high condition Damascus Parkers through the fifties, sixties, and seventies. Another guy up the street the other way probably bought and sold another 500 medium to high condition Damascus Parkers and didn't sleeve them. Some of the readers here know who those two guys are and can back up my illustration. Those who refuse to learn from their past experience (and the experience of others) are destined to repeat it, good or bad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like another old irreplacable is going to the butcher shop. Why not backbore it, port it, and open the chambers to 3" so it'll take those 1-1/4 oz moron loads? Some guys shouldn't have possession of these old guns. Chopper

Last edited by chopperlump; 07/17/07 09:39 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great diplomatic post, Chopperlump. I was grinding mine out while you were doing the same with yours. Why is it that everyone who owns a pigeon gun wants it to be a quail gun and everyone who owns a grouse gun want to shoot geese with it? Most of these guys have about thirty of each.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several questions have not been asked or answered. Do you use it now or does it sit in the safe because the chokes are too tight? Would you use it a lot more if the chokes suited your needs? Do you plan to sell it anytime soon? Have you given it enough use to really determine how well it performs, as is? Do you want to buy or spend time making up spreader loads? Give all these questions your honest answers and make your decision. I'm on the side with Paul, Joe and Ed. I might only suggest not going as extreme as SK1 and 2 to start with. IC/Mod would be my first stop.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

And I will only saw mine off two inches rather than the four inches I was contemplating. Just kidding, Jim. Frankly, my dear, xxxxxxxx.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who cares if you will use it more if you modify it or plan to sell it any time soon? That has nothing to do with whether or not it is a good idea to open the chokes.

How many people sit around years later peering at their (insert your item of pride and joy) and say, 'Well, If I'da known it woulda been worth so much someday I'da never (insert your choice of stupid modification)?

The gun is far more important than some miscellaneous owner's miscellaneous need to place fewer pellets in a circle at 40 yards, or to not have to bend his neck 1 more centimeter, or to have a slightly softer surface to place against his shoulder when shooting.

I am sure there are those who would buy the Mona Lisa, were she for sale, and finally fix that glaring omission of a mustache.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally, I wonder why you need to open the chokes.

So you miss a few birds - is that a big deal?

To me, it's not. I would rather keep the gun original and hunt those birds up again on another day.

If you're blowing birds apart, let them get out there a bit before you pull the trigger.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 07/17/07 10:47 AM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has everything to do with the decision, IMO. It's his gun. Who else has the right or authority to decide if it "is a good idea"? You? The gun is not more important than the owner's wishes. The owners enjoyment is more important than what some self-appointed purist's idea of what he should be allowed to do with his own property. It's just an object, to be used and enjoyed by the person who owns it. The world will not be altered one way or the other by what he does to his shotgun. Opening chokes to suit your needs/wants is not a "stupid modification". "Stupid modifications" are things like 12" forcing cones and backboring, thinking either will reduce recoil.
I thought the Mona Lisa HAD a mustache! Her mother did. JMO, of course.
Originally Posted By: GregSY
Who cares if you will use it more if you modify it or plan to sell it any time soon? That has nothing to do with whether or not it is a good idea to open the chokes.

How many people sit around years later peering at their (insert your item of pride and joy) and say, 'Well, If I'da known it woulda been worth so much someday I'da never (insert your choice of stupid modification)?

The gun is far more important than some miscellaneous owner's miscellaneous need to place fewer pellets in a circle at 40 yards, or to not have to bend his neck 1 more centimeter, or to have a slightly softer surface to place against his shoulder when shooting.

I am sure there are those who would buy the Mona Lisa, were she for sale, and finally fix that glaring omission of a mustache.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 07/17/07 10:52 AM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am probably going to regret asking this question, but how would anyone know chokes were altered anyway if done by a first rate shop like Briley or Kolar or some lesser known but expert barrel person?

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.