June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (graybeardtmm3, Tim in PA), 318 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,609
Posts546,956
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like most states its legal in PA to transfer long guns between individuals.

However its up to me to decide whether or not I sell the gun to you. In this case I highly doubt that would happen other than the guy was trying to be difficult or ignorant of the law.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am so old I remember when any pistol or long gun which predated 1968 carried a higher off the books value. Like a 1911 .45 which might be worth $200 would bring $250 if the buyer knew it was not in the system and no serial number could be traced back to the owner. Those days lasted about a decade but was real while it lasted. I just wished I could have afforded to buy more of them back then. I wasted my money on Fox small bores for a few hundred dollars. My favorite were the 16's in mint condition for 250-350 because everyone knew ammo was not going to be made for them soon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In NY under the safeact you have t go through a FFL but I don't know anyone that is complying with the law. Everyone does things the way they used to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woody402
In NY under the safeact you have t go through a FFL but I don't know anyone that is complying with the law. Everyone does things the way they used to.

That sounds good . . . until you're the first one to run afoul of a law enforcement officer who goes by the book.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Woody402

That sounds good . . . until you're the first one to run afoul of a law enforcement officer who goes by the book.

Or that gun gets stolen from the guy you sold it to and then they ask where he got it from and he says he bought it directly from you. Then you have to answer to law enforcement.
Though you may not agree with the law, it is always best to follow them and do what you are supposed to.

In states where person to person sales are legal, a seller requiring a background check either is ignorant of the law or just would like to know that the buyer will pass a background check. Not all that unreasonable if the buyer is completely unknown to the seller.

For a deal to be blown over a background check and transfer fee, you must not want the gun bad enough. Besides, if the seller is insisting on the FFL transfer, then they should be willing to absorb the dealer transfer fee.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
...In states where person to person sales are legal, a seller requiring a background check either is ignorant of the law or just would like to know that the buyer will pass a background check. Not all that unreasonable if the buyer is completely unknown to the seller.

For a deal to be blown over a background check and transfer fee, you must not want the gun bad enough. Besides, if the seller is insisting on the FFL transfer, then they should be willing to absorb the dealer transfer fee.

In states where the sale is legal, I think the adding of unnecessary requirements is unreasonable.

If it truly is a sale, somehow or another, it will be the buyer that has to absorb any fees. If cost causes a buyer to not want something bad enough, then the goal of control is being attained. I don't think the original person expressed that the money caused the deal to fall through. Reasonable people may have differing, but just as valid points of view.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In states where person to person sales are legal, a seller requiring a background check either is ignorant of the law or just would like to know that the buyer will pass a background check. Not all that unreasonable if the buyer is completely unknown to the seller.

This statement would include the majority of private sales, and virtually all sales done at gun shows. I've watched at gun shows as gang-bangers directed a girl-friend or buddy (presumably without a record) to purchase a handgun. The background check is done, and the straw purchaser hands the gun to the gang-banger after the purchase is complete. This shows me that Background Checks do nothing to keep guns out of the wrong hands. They only create a data base of law abiding gun owners.

Same goes double for the scenario where a gun was stolen. It doesn't matter a bit whether the rightful owner of the gun went through a Background Check. The felon who stole the gun didn't, and the fact that the original sale complied with the law does nothing to keep it from being used in a crime by the person who now has it.

This line of logic could easily be extended to the act of selling a car or truck to someone who lived in Yemen or Syria just because they might use it to plow into a crowd of people.

This depends a lot on the total value of the gun in question. Some FFL's want a ridiculous $40 to $50 or more to do a ten minute transfer. This could easily amount to half the value of a cheap .22 rifle or single shot shotgun that you might want to buy to leave out in the barn or garage. But the transfer fee I paid for the double rifle I just bought was a negligible part of the entire cost. A few years ago, I bought a very disassembled Lefever shotgun action and parts. Enough of the gun was missing that it would never be restored. I told the seller to just send me the internal parts, and to keep the frame because the additional $25.00 for a transfer did not make economic sense. Remember, when the GCA of 1968 was passed, an Antique pre-1899 gun was 69 years or older. Now the same Antique must be 118 years old, or older.

Prevention of more of this stupidity is yet another reason to join the NRA, and to not vote for anti-2nd Amendment Democrats.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.