Don Amos, Rocketman, has been acquainted with this concept for many years. He is the one who explained it to me when he spun a double of mine years ago on his turntable. When he explained the importance of where the mass is concentrated on doubles, and how that affected handling, it was just as if a light came on for me. Its all very simple, but if you've never thought through it all you don't really understand how two 6# guns can handle so much differently. I had read an article about Don and his MOI measuring device earlier in Shooting Sportsman but still didn't get it until we talked.

I agree that everyone who has any interest in how a doublegun handles should make the effort to understand that concept. BTW, having a large part of the mass concentrated in the action is not always what makes for good handling. It can be just the opposite, as I learned. I have a very lightweight .410 S x S with 28" barrels that I shoot well. I couldn't understand how that could be, as the majority of shotgun shells I go through are in a 9 lb. 3 oz. Perazzi. When he showed me how the mass is concentrated at the butt and in the barrels, and with the lightweight alloy receiver, I understood. With more of the mass being on the "ends" of the gun it slows it down a bit. He actually said that the turntable numbers on it were almost identical to a good English 12 ga. game gun.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 06/07/17 02:27 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.