For those curious about the history of guns, here's more about the .20 Williams Evans.

General D.K. Palit published a memoir in 2004 titled "Musings & Memories" (we have the first volume in manuscript form) in two volumes and 650 pages in which he discusses much of his life.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Musings_Memories.html?id=SPLSMXSl8dEC

Some pages were devoted to people he met along the way including me and my wife. Here are excerpts from P. 597:

,,,,,"Christopher, the younger son, then three years old, used to love riding on my pommel as I hit the ball about the 61st Cavalry polo ground; and I soon became his favorite outsider. That's how close we had become to each other. On Sunday's, Patel's day off, Geneviéve even insisted on serving me at table with a cooked breakfast from her kitchen!

....."And when Gene began to accompany me on duck and partridge shoots at Aurangpur, it put a firm seal on our closeness. (Gene, as one might have expected, possessed a single-barrel "pump gun" - the hallmark of the average American sportsman! - heavy and cumbersome with its 32" barrel. So he began to use my William Evans fully-finished box-lock .20 bore (bequeathed to me by my old friend Reggie Sawhney, when he married his American second wife and migrated to the States). After a three-year stint, when the Williams' were posted back to Washington, I in turn presented the gun to Gene."

Uh. excuse me General....I hit everything with that "cumbersome Remington 870." (Oh the Empire - even its remnants - and its pretentions! smile ...) And you gave the Williams Evans to Geneviéve, not me (ok maybe you gave it to me but she claims it, QED).

Oh well. I'll post a bit of information separately about Indian Navy Captain Reggie Sawhney which will take the story back another generation.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/26/17 09:19 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch