Posts546,901
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

I have to think you are on the right track with that Brent!

" Al, et al. I have shot roundballs in mine but find it regulates with only 40 gr or so of powder. I gotta believe that it could do better than that. I have some samples of a .630" "Rigby bullet" from an NEI mold that I will try. They are quite short and may be ideal for this gun. Gotta find the time to do this however."

I did not know the caliber of your rifle, I can say if it's a .60+ then the one in fifty four twist sure points in the direction of the bullet over the ball.

For a ball over a bullet in that caliber then the twist would slow to close twice that.

If we were betting on bullet or ball, I'm putting my money on "da bullet". For what that's worth?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Al, it's a .635 cal (18 bore).

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like you are looking at a 2 groove rifle which shoots a patched conical bullet with wings. If you have the mould, you should be in good shape.
The twist will be slow, so that the bullet will not strip out of the grooves when fired with a healthy dose of black powder.
This rifle design was dubbed "Express" by Mr. Purdey, because the larger amount of powder used (as compared to a ML bore rifleof the day) with greater velocity and flatter down range flight.

Ksbhati Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone for the wonderfull inputs. You guys are the best when it comes to Gun knowledge.

CFWS
Yes the Mould is for a Conical Bullet with wings. So does this classify this as an 'EXPRESS' Rifle? The Rifle has four rear leaf sights. A fixed sight for 50, and three folding with markings for 100, 200 & 250. (Can this Rifle actually be accurate upto 250 yards?)

Can I safely call this Rifle a .50 Caliber 'Express' Rifle and is the .50 Caliber Express the same thing as 500 Express?

I need to negotiate a price to my liking and secure this one.

http://www.pickofindia.com
Your one stop site for the Best Pick's of India....
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is usually called a 2 groove express rifle. It is different than a 500 express in that the 500 EXP. is a breechloading cartridge rifle.

And yes it can be accurate to 250 yds with the proper load.

Ksbhati Offline OP
OP Offline

Okay thanks for the clarification. I will post pics if I am successfull at securing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you get it, please post pictures of the mould and a cast bullte as well. I'd really love to see that. I have a belted ball rifle, but it's a belted roundball... Not really very accurate due to condition.

Brent

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

42 is probably a bore size of about .50
25 bore was stamped on commercial sniders - .577
52 was stamped on commercial martini henrys - .450
RG.

Ksbhati Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi ! Thanks for the inputs. Here is what Purdey have to say about the Rifle :

Completed in August 1867 for Lord Gosford.
29" Damascus barrels.
40 bore = .500".
The original cost of this rifle is £84.

So now we know that it is a 40 Bore or .500 Cal Rifle for sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The next question is what is the rate of twist? I'm guessing it is in the low 50s or upper 40" range.

Brent

_________

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.