June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (j7l2, bushveld, M&M, 3 invisible), 371 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,006
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R.C. #475264 03/16/17 03:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a 1/2 cup of mercury in Canada.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
R.C. #475266 03/16/17 03:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Messing with mercury and it's associated hazards make the cure sound worse than problem.
Karl

R.C. #475279 03/16/17 05:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Karl I don't see the panic over heavy Metals so lets get some proportion in this. Mercury it has been used since man found that by heating Cinnabar you could have this wonderful liquid metal Mercury. Even though its toxicity is known vast quantities are still used all over this planet. If you look in to the known toxic effects on people you have to be exposed to Mercury vapours for years and years not just a couple of minutes. I do believe that the Mercury amalgam fillings in my teeth have been giving off Mercury vapours since they where fitted and they are classed as low risk. I could go on further but it is like the attitude to lead oh!the panic when the press get hold of things they have a tendency to blow things out of all proportion.
In the photograph is a Matthaeus Hipp Electric clock invented 1838 and if you look closely the pendulum it contains sixteen pounds of the Devil Mercury next to it is a Fortin Barometer with another five pound of the stuff. Now these two devices have been hanging on my house wall for some fifty five years now. So what I am saying is don't believe all the publicity people still drink Alcohol and smoke Tobacco and more people shuffle of their mortal coils from the after effects of these two, than people suffering from the effects of mercury poisoning. And of course I am looking forward to my seventy first birthday so Mercury has not got me as a victim yet!!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
R.C. #475289 03/16/17 06:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus,
I'm turning 70 this weekend and when I was young worked in a testing lab that used mercury to seal it's air flow chambers, so apparently there is no harm done. I agree that many things are blown out of proportion. I also enjoy pipe smoking occationally in spite of all the warnings. Those are beautiful instruments you have there!
Karl

R.C. #475292 03/16/17 06:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gentlemen are correct about using mercury, but that isn't the problem. The problem is the stuff just can't hardly be procured any more. The governments have slapped such restrictions on it that it's pretty much unobtainable by ordinary civilians.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
damascus #475296 03/16/17 08:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
OK!! Lets have the shock horror and gnashing of teeth thing over and done with now!! Lead fowling of barrels and the removal of such. I use the tried and tested no hard work or vigorous barrel scrubbing Victorian gunsmiths method. Put a cork in the barrel breach pour half an egg cup of Mercury yes that is what I said Mercury via the muzzle cover with a polythene bag and seal with the palm of your hand or another cork and swill the said Mercury from end to end a dozen times. Hay presto all the lead fowling will have Magically disappeared with very little effort on your part!!

Is there a reference describing the technique ?

Liquid mercury is easily obtainable for me

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
R.C. #475300 03/16/17 08:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes there is a printed reference to using the Mercury method of gun barrel Lead removal. It is in the "Shooters Handbook" by Richard Arnold published by Nicholas Kaye Ltd. London. Though now out of print, like a lot of interesting books on guns and shooting. Process is described on page 21 section three. It is a pity you folks reside on the other side of the pond I do have a spare pound or two of Mercury. Purchasing it here is a little restricted but not impossible to purchase, it sometimes appears on e-bay for sale though often collection only.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
R.C. #475308 03/16/17 10:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have several pounds of mercury that I bought from a very old dentist. He use to mix his own amalgam fillings in a machine that held the silver metal fillings in one chamber and mercury in the other. They would drop into a mixing chamber and shaken to mix. You could adjust the ratio to extend working time or make the fillings stronger or expand slightly to seal the cavity well in undercuts. I think I paid a buck or two for what I have. Haven't thrown it away because.... well it is mercury and not something to be disposed of improperly. Might be interesting to use it to get the lead out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Originally Posted By: damascus
OK!! Lets have the shock horror and gnashing of teeth thing over and done with now!! Lead fowling of barrels and the removal of such. I use the tried and tested no hard work or vigorous barrel scrubbing Victorian gunsmiths method. Put a cork in the barrel breach pour half an egg cup of Mercury yes that is what I said Mercury via the muzzle cover with a polythene bag and seal with the palm of your hand or another cork and swill the said Mercury from end to end a dozen times. Hay presto all the lead fowling will have Magically disappeared with very little effort on your part!!

Is there a reference describing the technique ?

Liquid mercury is easily obtainable for me

Well Gladys Kravitz, you could possibly check the same source where you came up with this double shotgun wisdom in answer to the question, "What is the Best gun made in America before 1900?"

Your answer, which demonstrated the your comprehension, intelligence, and vast double gun knowledge... required of a self appointed thread moderator such as yourself, was this:

Originally Posted By: old colonel
The CSMC Fox.

The best US design excuted with the best metallurgy and best quality control

Sounds like you've had plenty of exposure to mercury already.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #475318 03/17/17 06:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Liquid mercury is easily obtainable for me [/quote]

"What is the Best gun made in Anerica before 1900?"[/b]

[quote=old colonel]

Easy question. Answer Remington 1894. The best shotguns with American name engraved on them at that time were Birmingham-made Winchester hammer guns. Those were the best two barrel shotguns Winchester ever sold.

I should mention that one of the best bird guns made here was the legendary 7lb 12ga Remington 11-96. It came with lightened steel receiver, Light Contour barrel with RemChokes. It was gun of the year at the time it was put together, rightfully so. Very advanced design. You load magazine tube pull the slide and after trigger is pulled the system self-loads cartridges utilizing metering gas system ie. very, very advanced design. The big upside is it hits like a twelve and recoils like a 20.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.