Originally Posted By: GLS
Ted, question about Darne R-10. In that it has a rib on top, but not on the bottom, what's the proper nomenclature--semi-swamped?? The MF Ideal is swamped on both sides, with a sighting "plume" extending downward a few inches from the breech on top and a smaller sight ramp at muzzle's end. Gil

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the construction of Ideal barrels, as I believe Shotgunlover aptly noted, is as an I beam, with one central rib. Then there is what I call a front bead ramp, and then at the breech the plume. The plume is not, I believe, a sighting ramp, but rather La Manu's design for the doll's head, since that would simply be the extension of the top rib on other guns. In fact, very early production Ideals had top ribs, some with doll's head and some of the oldest with none. The doll's head extension ramp has to have enough length for sufficient contact area on the barrels, and of course it tapers as the radius of the barrels is approached. Thus it looks like a small bird feather, and is appropriately called le plume. Indeed, most Ideals have it engraved in a feather motif.

So then the question is, does the Ideal have a swamped rib as Ted has helped to clarify? As it has only a central, single rib that does not rise or fall with relation to the center of the barrels, with ramps- not full ribs- muzzle and breech, I think the answer would be non. But, if by "swamped" you include "sunken" or recessed... smile

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility