May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (mbatten), 438 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,549
Posts546,208
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, that's not very encouraging of you. You could suggest taking left handed shooting lessons instead. Might be cheaper than trying to alter this gun. You are right that most projects are endless money and time pits that we fall into. I have a few which worked out much better than expected but many more which just became too much of a money pit to ever justify them on an economic basis.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, IF he has been on a lifelong quest for that model of Hellis, that would be one thing.
But, I don't think he has, from the sounds of it.
The double gun market in Canada isn't what it is here, and, here, it ain't what it used to be.
Unless he can do all the work himself, I see more money in repairs than the gun would ever be worth.
Been there. Bought the T-shirt, mailed the postcard. Done that.
There comes a point with an old gun where you understand you could have had something much better than a tired gun, and that good gunsmiths like to eat steak and shrimp as much as you do, only, they get their ration of that from guys like you.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree though, this might not have been a very good decision.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geez,it isn't all that bad,in fact for the price you paid it may be a lucky find. What you haven't talked about is the barrels. Bores and walls; do you know what they are? Good barrels will make this a great deal.

Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Justin,

What you say if very true. Many people on this forum outright dismiss guns without having the full facts.

Barrels are 30 in. Min wall thickness is .032 and while both barrels have been reamed and are mirror on the inside, they remain just in proof although not re-proofed. The outside needs an enhancement but to brown properly may require a full redo. There is one small nick that is insignificant. Pattern is very vivid and a few oil/rust (not sure yet) spots that need cleaning up. Dings on the rib need attention.

The wood is well used but otherwise in great shape. Semi-Fancy. One thing I am amazed at is the top lines of the forearm are perfect. Usually they are well dinged up.

Mechanically sound but push rod for safety has been removed. As I write this I have it in the sonic cleaner since the insides were full of grease and crud.

USD400 to do the barrels, CAD700 for the wood and checkering plus what I paid and I may come out a few dollars ahead should I wish to sell it ON THE USA MARKET.

Last edited by Tamid; 02/08/17 01:03 PM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like it is a lucky find

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: justin
Sounds like it is a lucky find

It depends on what the objective is. If it is to put money into it to have a nice vintage gun when finished without regards to resale, then perhaps yes. If the intent is thinking money might be made after spending X amount of dollars, then no.
I've been down this road a few times and I believe Tamid has as well. If you want to bring a gun back to life to "live" another 100 years, that is one thing, but do not expect to make money. If you do make money, consider it a bonus!

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/08/17 04:40 PM.
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Justin, Gunsaholic,

My hope is to bring it back to life, use it for the next couple of decades then at least sell it for what I put into it. A break-even proposition.

In Canada you can pick up some very decent doubles very inexpensively and at auctions if they have damascus barrels they practically give them away. Many of these can be brought 'back to life' with stock refinish and checkering and barrel refinish. Any more than that and yes it becomes a sink-hole. I expect to collect up my best guns when the time comes and export them into the US for sale where the market is much more alive than in Canada.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
Justin, Gunsaholic,

My hope is to bring it back to life, use it for the next couple of decades then at least sell it for what I put into it. A break-even proposition.

In Canada you can pick up some very decent doubles very inexpensively and at auctions if they have damascus barrels they practically give them away. Many of these can be brought 'back to life' with stock refinish and checkering and barrel refinish. Any more than that and yes it becomes a sink-hole. I expect to collect up my best guns when the time comes and export them into the US for sale where the market is much more alive than in Canada.

And this is the right reason for acquiring these guns. I applaud you for bringing another piece of workmanship back to life.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't hold my breath expecting to make money in the US on a damascus 12 that has had + or- $1500 US put into it, now, or in the future, especially in the future.
Most 12 gauge doubles are a hard sell in the US, right now. Damascus is fashonable for a fraction of 1 % of US shooters, and, not growing by leaps and bounds. The web is littered with good quality 12 gauge doubles of every stripe, that have languished for years, here in the US. This is not a growth industry.

If you want to use it, and cost or return is not a consideration, have at it. I believe there are far better candidates for what you want to do (guns that start out for the right hand, for example, and, the argument could be made, guns that are more suitable for non-toxic shot) but, you are buying.

As long as you go into it eyes wide open to the possibility that it will cost more than it might bring. Guys have ended up divorced over projects that got out of hand.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.