Thanks for digging that up Sam, I remember thinking very nice job.

For practice, I think 2by pine could be frustrating to try to get crisp cuts. Maybe, a piece of poplar would be inexpensive and work just a little more like walnut. If the concern is the head of the stock, then the practice piece does not need to be full sized and include the butt.

Depending on how the metal fits, it could go quicker to inlet and glue in a little filler wood that's missing. Maybe let the metal back down, and refine it with some gel epoxy as needed, and get to a guide pattern to visualize if that's the hope.

I don't think you need to be overly worried about thickening the new wood beyond reasonable. I think some of these guns were fed loads that they never were really intended to fire.

Maybe, along with books, you can check youtube. Look up how folks are approaching lever action or single shot rifle butt stocks, and adjust here and there for your application. If the project stalls out, you could still have a shop semi inlet by duplicating off your pattern. The time commitment could never be justified in money, so a little money layout might allow someone to spend some time elsewhere on the project.

I think you may have a unique little gun. Thanks for the updates.