Stan- We were attempting to make inorganic polymers for the military. Because Tin and Lead are big atoms with lots of ways to attach other arrangements of atoms, many of our experiments created unstable arrangements.
We were trying to find the stable, polymeric units that we could string together. Like let's say, a Tin or lead based, pvc like material. PVC is very versatile. But, with carbon atoms involved, can also be damaged by radiation.
Imagine a paint that protected a fighter jet from an EMP burst. That was one of the supporting ideas.

In some of our experiments, A little light energy, and what was there this morning was something else tonight.
Or, a hot day, would break the bonds. Some stuff is just delicate that way.
Remember, I equate all energy as energy. Heat, light, pressure, whatever. If it stimulates an atom, it's energy.

I would encourage anyone doing any coloring to make a bunch of small slab samples, and expose them to bright light for a few months.

I have been intrigued by those comments for years now, but have no facilities to test them.

In science, it's OK to re prove prior experiments. No one gets mad. If the science was good to start with, then repeating it will give the same results.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least that some of the deep blue, black polymorphs are tough as corundum. And their differently reflecting cousins, not so much.

I don't believe a Krieghoff Essencia will look like a peacock 100 years from now.

They are even saying that the Sistine Chapel was gaudy bright when first painted so as to see the characters better from the floor.

But I'm also OK with someone saying, "You are full of crap!", as long as they can reasonably say, "Here's why."

And moving into the applied world, where not burning ourself dominates over what color did we get, wink

I have always felt that people could do better on their placement of color. Jigging, packing, heat sinking, coatings, whatever, I have felt for some time that where color is placed brings the most value to the practice. And is a mechanical process, easily fiddled with by practitioners.

So, visual appeal or historical duplication, has more realizable value than just wear resistance. These implements aren't seeing the same use or environment that they were used in 100+ years ago.

Out there doing it best I can.