OK:

First, let me say I am not standing up for ATF not renewing licenses.

I myself started out small when I was in college but even then I was doing a healthy amount of transactions.

I knew how Craigd was going to answer before he did.

I was one of the first to renew the ffl under Clinton, back when the hammer came down.

An ffl is for someone to be actively engaged in the business.
They did resend lots of licenses because folks did not do enough transactions.

An ffl was never ment for buying guns for yourself at a discount or just selling to your buddies.

When I had a talk with an agent he said they would go on an inspection and a guy might have the same guns in his bound book for years, or he maybe sold only 2-3 guns a year. They said this is not what an ffl is for. They could see he was not actively engaged in the business.

I think anybody would agree that if you are only buying guns for yourself or selling only a half dozens guns a year that you are really not trying to make a business of it.

They want to see that you were selling enough guns to justify having a license.

(one of my good friends and great clients had an ffl for more that 15 years. On his last inspection the agent said he did not do enough transactions and asked him to surrender his license)

So other reasons that ffl were not renewed was for deed restrictions and zoning laws. Also in Texas because you did not have a sales tax number, if you had operated they wanted you to get one. I had to prove that we did.

Operating an unsanctioned business out of a rented building or office space.

I know a lot of guys personally and friends that had ffl and had to give they up for those reasons, and they were not really in the gun business, they had used it for themselves and friends. They did realize that they were not en-gauged in the trade. They did not like it, but understood it

John Boyd

Last edited by arrieta2; 08/09/16 09:22 AM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971