June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 360 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,586
Posts546,750
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan- that is amazing- I just re-read Nash Buckingham's "The Dove" and he thought a 60% average on doves was world class shooting. Is the BSS a 20 bore? What chokes and loads were you using on your great "Red Letter Day" on doves? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Francis. That BSS was a lowly 12 gauge. It was choked IC and M, but much less choke would have been fine on that particular day. As I recall, I was using reloads ....... 3 1/4 - 1 - #8.

I agree with Nash. A consistent 60% dove shooter is spoken of in hushed, and "reverent" tones. That day was just one of those "perfect storms" for me. Probably won't ever happen again, either. I have/had two different friends who claimed to have killed 25 with one box of shells, in their younger days. They both are/were excellent wing shots, but we all know how our memory works ........... good things get better, and bad things get worse. smile I am, however, certain about the 12/13 day. Several shooters noticed and commented on it. wink

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have killed a 15 bird limit of doves with one box of shells a few times but I can't do it consistently. Most of the time I'm about half way in to that second box before I'm done. For me, shot selection is the key.

Now, when I went to S. America, my bird boy claimed my average was about 71%, but they are very generous. You cut one feather and they count it as a shot bird. They want to keep the clients happy.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Thanks, Francis. That BSS was a lowly 12 gauge. It was choked IC and M, but much less choke would have been fine on that particular day. As I recall, I was using reloads ....... 3 1/4 - 1 - #8.

I agree with Nash. A consistent 60% dove shooter is spoken of in hushed, and "reverent" tones. That day was just one of those "perfect storms" for me. Probably won't ever happen again, either. I have/had two different friends who claimed to have killed 25 with one box of shells, in their younger days. They both are/were excellent wing shots, but we all know how our memory works ........... good things get better, and bad things get worse. smile I am, however, certain about the 12/13 day. Several shooters noticed and commented on it. wink

SRH

Stan, your word alone is good enough for me. smile

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, I appreciate that. I agree that most bird boys, in Cordoba, want a good tip more than an accurate count. I got a really good one on my first trip, in '03. First 100 birds I grounded one day I turned and asked him "How many?" He replied "97". I was satisfied with his count after that.
SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

For me, it isn't about the killing anymore.

My best hunt netted a pair of common Merganzers, fat, and fully feathered.
You see, a friend had pulmonary failure and was on oxygen. He didn't know if he would live to see another season or not. I asked him to float a river in early December. I'd paddle, he'd sit up front, and shoot some ducks. Then switch. Sort of a "One last time, just in case..." kind of a hunt.

He was on oxygen, and had a bottle that would last 4 hrs or so, if he took it easy. I had misgivings, seeing his huge abdomen, and spindly arms and legs. But hey, if death is coming, get on with living till you can't anymore.

So, off we go.

Well, there was a deep cold snap, and the edges of the Muskegon were heavy ice shelves. The water flowing well enough to provide open water for our drift all the way to the pickup spot.
Or so I thought.

I eased the loaded boat off the ice shelf, and into the river. The current would make the float much easier.
We floated about a mile before we hit our first ice jam. We breached it, floated some more, and a pair of Mergy's jumped up off the ice shelf and Russ downed the pair. The were choking on minnows picked from a power dam intake screen.
Fabulous specimens, hen and drake. Fully feathered and brilliant.

We floated deeper into the forest.
We hit another ice dam. It was river wide, and the river was frozen solid across as far as the eye could see beyond it. There was way more ice than I had expected for sure.

What to do? Well, Russ couldn't walk out, that was for sure. The edges of the river were all swamp and knee deep snow. He only had half a cyl of O2 left as it was. We were going slow, and he was breathing heavy.

So, I tied the anchor rope around my waist, and began to tow the boat, and Russ down the ice. It glided easily. I stayed to the sides thinking the slack water ice might be thicker. I made great time. I dragged them down river for at least a mile (later map verified). I didn't want my friend to turn blue and die on a lousy duck hunt.

Needless to say, shooting ducks on a frozen river wasn't happening, and had lost all allure by 3PM.

I'm tunking the ice, skating everyone merrily along, and "CRACK"! The ice disappeared beneath my feet. All I saw was brown water swallowing me up.
As I went down, I thought I'd hit bottom, as I thought it only a couple feet deep where I was pulling the boat. I was wrong.

I never touched anything, and the current swept my feet out from under me. The river sucked me under the ice. I can still see the sky through the brown water as I was sucked under.

I thrashed as I was going under, and Russ saw the whole thing.

He grabbed the anchor rope I was towing with, and pulled me up and out of the hole I had created. Hand over hand, hanging out over the bow of my skiff, grabbing a chunk, and reefing me back upstream. Cannula (sp?) draped around his head, eyes bulging.

My head broke water, but I was being pulled against the ice backwards, with nothing beneath me.

I rolled over, and with Russ'frantic pulling scrambled back up onto the ice. Like a soggy walrus.

He said something like, "Dude, when you disappeared, I thought you were a goner." Thankfully, the rope, and an inflatable turkey cushion that were around my waist, saved my life that day. That and the monumental task of a good friend pulling on a rope with God's will behind him.

He recovered pretty well with medication, and lost over 100lbs of water. We still go hunting together when we can. I am forever in his debt. And I'll always have room for him in my boat.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Duck hunting ain't for sissy boys.

Good story, CZ.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best day (so far, I have a younger daughter too) was my son's first buck. A trophy only to us.
I love this picture, I think it might say more than a thousand words.

CHAZ

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.