I first heard of S.E.E. years ago when using WW 296 in my .357 magnum. I've read a lot about it and I just read several more articles on S.E.E.

One recurring theme was that ballistics labs have not been able to duplicate it with the same loads that allegedly blew up guns. Didn't matter if it was reduced loads of slow or fast burning powder... magnum primers or standard... powder tipped forward in the case or to the rear. The one common theme was that in virtually all instances, there was enough room in the cartridge case to fit an inadvertent double charge.

I'm not going to be one of those guys who absolutely scoffs at the notion of S.E.E. I believe that it does indeed happen with reduced loads of some powders like WW 296 or H 110. I also know there is weird stuff that happens with degraded powders and powders that are jostled and reduced to dust and have their deterrent coatings worn off. But 28 grs. of 5744 in a .30-06 case isn't a severe reduction like some more risky loads of fast powders that utilize 10% case volume. And when real detonation of powder does apparently happen, the results are catastrophic with chambers that rupture and peel like a banana, and case heads that become fused to the bolt face, i.e., enormously high pressures. This particular low number Springfield is said to have a barrel that, visually at least, looks like it could be reused. But we have heard about the improper heat treatment of some low number Springfields forever. I recall reading about one that shattered when a center punch was used to mark the receiver ring for drilling scope mount holes.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.