Fun pics and comments. I'd started to mention plover in my original post, but refrained because of their much shorter bills. It would be near impossible to confuse a plover w/a woodcock or snipe. In the same breath, there are a number of shore birds that at first glace might be confused w/a snipe. Particularly by an older hunter w/< perfect eye sight or a neophyte. Woodcocks I've seen &/or bagged have bills somewhat longer than most varieties of snipe and their bills are straight rather than curved.

FWIW, I'm also of the opinion that some engravers never saw the birds or animals they were trying to depict. Some may have simply not been remotely talented. I have a Lefever G grade that I acquired many years ago only because it was the very worst example of engraving I have ever seen. The old gun is as tight as a tick & the bird depicted is clearly a pheasant [more than may be said of some 'flying turnips'] and it is rather boldly signed 'ROY'. I view it as an irreplaceable piece of Americana in spite of the many laughs Bill Wise & I had over it's acquisition and my quixotic perspective.