James Calderwood Dublin Ireland.

I have a fantastic percussion gun by James Calderwood and its just a beautiful gun in its balance, handling and finish, i have only seen one other gun by the maker and it was much later period gun but equally beautiful in every respect to which we pass judgement on beautiful guns.

If anyone knows of any other guns by the maker i would love to hear about them if they exist they do so in collections or museums where they are not easily examined.

Some book i read years ago suggested he was a maker on a similar level to manton in terms of what he did to transform guns from functional military hardware somewhat adapted for sport to items of real beauty and craftsmanship.

I may be completely wrong in all of this but its just what i have picked up over time.

Lot number 641 here
http://www.scotarms.co.uk/catalogues/684.htm

and the later one in the pantiles gun room Calderwood and son.

which if i had it i would happy part with the wanted sum for.

Not to be confused with the other calderwood operating in the US? possible relation? I don't know - Some US William Calderwood long rifles have Warrented Manton locks and have styling and engraving more like we would see on British guns as apposed to the carvings of a fine american maker, probably just nicely finished guns from the trade in the UK i don't know.. i am not an expert on by any stretch. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 02/23/16 10:33 AM.