I don't see the end of hunting in my "brave new world" vision, nor even in what's likely to be my son's brave new world. However, when the decision was made to go nontox only for waterfowl, there was the very real possibility of facing the end of waterfowling if the change hadn't been made. And that was 25 years ago. That's how well-accepted the evidence was. Considering that everyone also knew that lead shot is far superior, ballistically, to steel, it's hard to believe the switch was made based on junk science.

Other types of hunting face different challenges today. And in places where there is a very low % of hunters (like CA), the threat to hunting increases significantly. Throw in the general anti-gun attitude of many nonhunters and nonshooters . . . The shooting program at Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa is currently under attack. Some alum who's an ER doctor in a big city talks about having seen the results of gun violence. Not sure what that has to do with kids shooting clay targets with shotguns, which is a far safer sport than just about anything involving a ball. And the guns they're using are hardly ever the type involved in crimes. But the anti-gun folks never seem to pay much attention to such details.