W.R. Crosby on shooting Inanimate Targets. In 1905 using (I believe from a 1901 image) a Straight Grip Smith, but the next year switched to a PG Parker

1907 "The American Field" courtesy of David Noreen

Nov. 18, 1905 Sporting Life
"How Crosby Smashes His Targets With Such Success" Mrs. Will K. Park
While W. R. Crosby, the professional wing shot, of O’Fallon, Ill., was shooting in the big target tourney at Watson Park, Chicago, recently, and when he broke the full 20 without a miss, one of the amateurs watching him closely remarked:
"I believe that quickness is everything in shooting these inanimate birds. I believe that it is one of the secrets of his wonderful work at all tournaments."
Scores of men who are themselves among the best shots were also watching every move made by Crosby. They noted that he sighted his gun right at the trap, and no sooner had the clay pigeon been thrown than Crosby fired. He seemed to go right along with the target as it was thrown and some of the birds were smashed before they had gone ten yards away from the mouth of the trap house. The only birds allowed to sail more than 20 yards away from the traps were the right quarterers, which were let go by a short distance on a dead line to prevent a miss from being recorded. These are the hardest shots to secure.

Inanimate Target "Handicaps" then were 18 - 22 yards.

Live Bird handicaps at the 1901 GAH at Live Birds were 25-33 yards, and Challenge Cup handicaps could be longer.