This has been a fascinating exchange. I have heard of several boot options, and I have enjoyed everyone's take on their experiance. I am a desert quail/chucker hunter and my boot choice in part is conditioned on weight and heat management, rarely is water resistant an issue. I found that Merrel mid heights are absolutely the best. There is one model Reflex Mid are true to size and have room in the toe box. The Vibram soles have great traction and prevent rock bruises. The soles are not so large (wide) as to hang up on cactus and rocks. There is another model the Merril Moab Ventilator. This model runs small and requires a half size larger, the soles are too wide and I find they hang up on rock projections. The ones I have came from Cabelas and I'm in my third pair. The negative, once the sole is gone they are gone. I get about 3 years wear out of a pair. Merril just changed the liner from GorTex to their proprietary liner which according to reviews may not perform as well. Thanks for all to good information and opinions.