The .35 Rem. on a Marlin repeater is an excellent choice! If there is a drawback, it's from the standpoint of reloading supplies. The one weak spot in the .35 Rem. is it's lack of bullet selection. But when you are using a lever gun with tube magazine, even the .30-30 has a greatly reduced choice of bullets that will work.
I've used both to take deer and they both worked extremely well. I like the lighter bullets, as out West I hunt areas where longer shots are common. The lighter bullets in a .35 still are pretty heavy, and slow. The 130 gr. Speer in my .30-30 can easily be pushed over 2500 fps, and my favorite load is at 2600 fps. Very flat out to 200 yds. or farther.
I also am a huge fan of the old hyphenated rounds like .32-40, and .38-55, and hunt with both. Even at slower velocities in the 1400-1500 fps range, they have both proven to be deadly out to 150 yds. I'm sure they will take game even farther, but I don't push them farther for deer.
A .38-55 in a Ballard #8 took this decent mule deer at 140 yds. a few years back: