Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: GaryW
(what else is new in Europe?...they wait on the U.S. to take the lead just like they did in WWI & WWII)

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, please get your history correct. The US absolutely did not take the lead in WW1. It was the Commonwealth countries of Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. The US was extremely late to the game. In WWII, You did your best to stay out of the whole mess until you were dragged into it by Pearl Harbour.

That said, you were a critical component of the success against the Japanese and Germans but for the countries that contributed soldiers and supplies and suffered casualties several multiples higher than the US in terms of per capita it's a bit galling to hear history being revised so casually.

James,
I don't think the fact that had the US not shown up, in either WW,the outcome would have been 180 degrees different, can or needs to be revised.

I wouldn't think that it could be called anything but what it was. Salvation for the allies. Tojo, educated here, if I'm not mistaken, told the emperor exactly what would happen if the US entered the war against Japan. His timeline was even correct.

Yes, other countries suffered huge casualties and losses. It would have been for naught had we not shown up. The Russians then went on to kill about 10 of their own countrymen, under Stalin, for every one that died in the war. McArthur seems like a genius, from here.

Obama, not so much.

Best,
Ted