June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (fuhrmann), 278 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,610
Posts546,957
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

If all I had was a 28 gauge then I might be forced to use 1 oz. loads depending on the environment and quarry.

That said, thankfully, a 28 gauge is not all I own. I have options and would much prefer to shoot a 1 oz. load in a light 12 gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Cactus Jack thought they were great in his 28-gauge Eusabio Arrizaga. These have been sitting around my gun room for a couple of decades --

I did shoot a few Pheasants with these when I first received my RBL-28.

I found a box, too. I think these roll-crimped papers have been around awhile....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
Just to put the recoil of the 28 ga 1oz load in perspective:

The old Winchester 1 oz that was loaded in AA CF hulls was listed @ 1125 fps. (current 1oz loading is 1200fps). Assuming a 5 3/4 lb. gun, recoil energy is 13.4 ft./lbs.

A 12 ga Federal Prairie Storm 1 1/4 oz lead @ 1500 fps & assuming a 8.0 lb. gun has a recoil energy of 26.7 ft pounds.

I find it interesting that a lot of people (not me) find the Prairie Storm load just wonderful for pheasant & don't complain about the recoil.

My feeling is that 1oz of shot is just about perfect for most upland hunting & that's what I normally shoot in 20, 16, & 12 ga guns. I no longer own a 28 but if I did it would be close to a 6lb. gun & I would shoot 1oz in it for most upland hunting & the 3/4oz 1200fps load for clay targets.

Way off topic on the pointing dog issue but I've got to say that I agree with the statement that a flushing dog can be more efficient under some conditions but for me it's more about the experience than it is birds in the bag.

If you don't hunt pointing dogs you will not experience the thrill of a dog on point or better yet, a brace of dogs down with one on point & one backing.

When I was in S. Dakota a couple years ago, I had flown in and not brought a gun. Nope. No 410. Just went to visit with my friends. So, the family insisted I go out with them. Someone handed me a 870 12ga, a vest, and some shells. I didn't shoot for a couple fields as others shot a few roosters. I was walking on the side of a berm on the flank of a cornfield and a rooster headed my way. I fired. I never saw the rooster fold, but others said I hit it. I was busy falling down the berm into the ditch. Prairie Storm! They had a good laugh. I traded out the rest of those shells for some cheapos.

On the dogs, I find both to be really a thrill and enjoyable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a 28gauge Higham SxS made for and used by Ms.Oakley when she visited Shropshire, Pheasant shooting . There is no way I will ever subject it to an ounce load. Three quarters of an ounce is plenty, if you have trouble with 3/4 oz, could I suggest that you consider taking shooting lessons??? ( Smiley)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree that shooting 1 oz. loads in a 28 gauge is something that also is not for me.
Years ago when younger I shot a lot of skeet with a Beretta 28 gauge BL4 of which I still have. Shot mostly #9's 3/4 oz.
I would hate to brag on the number of pen raised pheasants I killed with it over my dogs back then using this load.
The Beretta BL4 weighs 6 lbs.8 ozs. with 26" barrels.

I never shot a 12 gauge until about 13 years ago and for the last 3 years + only shoot 3/4 oz. with a 12 gauge. I use these loads for skeet, sporting clays. 5 stand and trap. Like stated, they do their part if I do mine.

Last edited by JDW; 09/02/15 04:19 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW, you used 9's on pheasants? It'll certainly kill them at fairly close range, but that's a lot of lead to pick out of the meat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, amen to that. I was fortunate in that I knew of a few people that really wanted them, so most were given away to these people.

David

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.