Oakar going back many years ago while in Germany in the service I had the pleasure to hunt there. I got to know a German who worked on our post as a fireman and his father owned quite a bit of land. I had just bought out of our gun club a Remington 11-48 in .410 with a imp.cyl. choke. I told him about it and said what are you going to kill with that? He shot a Franchi 20 gauge and I told him I could kill as much with the .410 as his 20 gauge.
Since there is a large selection of game there, including 10 lb. hares, foxes, pheasants, Hungarian partridge and roe deer, I can see where the tighter chokes would be used.
In order to hunt in Germany at my time there you needed 400 acres and you needed a dog that would retrieve game, and if water on the property had to also retrieve in water.
Sunday mornings the family meaning my friend and his son, his father would hunt along a stream and then into some plowed fields for hares. The afternoon was devoted for some townspeople to join in the hunt for Hungarian partridge, pheasant and any hares kicked up. Most all shot doubles or drillings and not sure of the chokes. All game went to land owner for sale in town. Don't know about now.

David