June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Der Ami, FlyChamps, Chuckster, Jimmy W), 227 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,513
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently used DE to help remove oil from an unfinished curly sugar maple stock I had to bend with hot oil and heat guns. It worked pretty well for the heaviest portion. I applied DE, sat the stock in the AZ sun for an hour and then wiped it off and applied another fresh coat of DE. Did this about a dozen times over three days and it removed most of the oil. Wiped it down with denatured alcohol a couple times and continued building from there. I still didn't get all the oil but enough that the acid stain and finish worked fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I might be able to help here, having spent 35 years working with industrial wastewater treatments systems that included oil and grease removal. I have used all of the chemicals mentioned here. The DE will work but it is a very inert material and any oil removed will be from the oil sticking to particles of DE. DE comes is many grades ranging from very course to very fine. You might want to consider trying bentonite clay. Bentonite clay actually has an affinity for oil and grease very similar to a how a magnet works with a metal.

The other chemicals like potassium hydroxide (KOH, caustic potash) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH or caustic soda) work by braking O&G particles down into smaller particles and dispersing them in a solution such as water. Both are strongly alkaline. Wood ash is slightly alkaline and would therefore work well at removing some O&G as long as there is some moisture in the ash. A word of caution - highly alkaline (high pH) material can break down the cellulose in wood and make it brittle. That's not a good idea for a gun stock.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use[d] diatomaceous earth to rid the house of fleas the dog brought in. Sprinkle it along the baseboards and such and it worked like a charm. Vacuum it up a month or so later.
It's a good bug killer.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

The most complete way to remove oil from wood though the equipment is a little on the pricey side but it works incredibly well, it requires a re-sealable thick walled metal box and a mid level vacuum pump with a method of heating the box continuously to about 25oC 77F. The wood is wrapped in cloth and surrounded by Fullers Earth but Cat litter will also work to soak up the oil. The wood is left in the reduced warm atmosphere until the oil stops traveling to the surface leaving the wood virtually oil free.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm.

That sound like a combination of an old refrigerator compressor and a candle warmer or Hot Plate. Compressors and metal boxes are easy to come by at the Scrap Yard...Peelable weatherstripping caulk could be used each time the box is sealed. The gauge controlling the power would be the hard part.

Wait, I actually have an old air compressor with a bad tank. I bet I can adapt it..

damascus,

Any idea on how long the process would take?

Last edited by Ken61; 06/07/15 03:18 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That vacuum method sounds very interesting. I've seen vacuum pumps used to evacuate air from air conditioning systems sell for $50.00 or less at auto parts swap meets, and that's what I paid for a brand new Robinair air conditioning service vacuum pump. I'd imagine you'd want your vessel containing the stock to be very well sealed so that the pump wasn't running continuously once you pulled a vacuum. Once you pulled the desired vacuum, you would valve it off.

I've often wondered if you couldn't do the exact opposite to get a finish to penetrate much deeper into the wood, much like pressure treated lumber. But pressure treated lumber is much heavier, so the added weight of a gun stock so treated might outweigh the benefits of being better sealed against moisture.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith,

I know that when I vacuum seal my marinated steaks the marinade penetrates the meat much deeper. Opposite of the overpressure you're talking about for stock finish.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are some variables as you would expect like how low you take the vacuum, the surrounding temperature and how much oil there is in the wood to start with. But the usual time is between three and five days though the lower the vacuum the faster it all works.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
....I've often wondered if you couldn't do the exact opposite to get a finish to penetrate much deeper into the wood, much like pressure treated lumber. But pressure treated lumber is much heavier, so the added weight of a gun stock so treated might outweigh the benefits of being better sealed against moisture.

Wood stabilizing is done by a bunch of firms and individuals, and has been done on gun stocks. A simple brake bleeder can draw vacuum, but it might be hard work. Capped pipe and a small ball valve can hold vacuum.

If you try it, you might consider using something that cures, and you can still use your favorite finish on the out side.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To make such an easy thing so complicated WOW! And no one has mentioned concrete mix and that soaks up oil pretty good.

Massive efforts and all you really have to do is toss the thing in an acetone and then alky bath.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wonko%27s+brew

some of you must be realllly desperate for something to do

have another day
Dr.WtS

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 06/08/15 01:30 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.