I've been corresponding with Dave, and he has agreed to consider the creation of a DIY sub-forum, as long as there is enough interest in it. The purpose of this thread, which will be open for around 30 days, is to judge the degree of interest. Positive as well as negative comments are welcome.

I'll start out by giving my opinion on the subject.

A DIY sub-forum would provide a consolidated source of information for those considering this route. It would save a great amount of time for individuals researching these projects, as information is not only spread out all across the web on these subjects, but much of the specific information discussed previously on this board has gone beyond the one year search limitation.

Not only would a forum provide information on the specific processes, it would also provide a realistic expectation on the degree of expertise of the work involved, allowing people to make a rational decision on whether or not to take the work to a Professional.

I myself, as an amateur restorer had somewhat grandiose plans about performing a wide range of restoration processes. Now, after being a member of this board, I have realized that this is not realistic for an amateur, and have consequentially formed a relationship with a Smith who specializes in doubles. So, an additional purpose of the forum would be to allow professionals to showcase their work as well, allowing the rest of us to truly understand and appreciate the high degree of skill and knowledge required for their work.

This new sub-forum could easily become the "Go To" place for information on restoration of Double Guns. It's my view that accurately performing restoration processes, either as a DIY project or by a professional, will assist to keep our sport alive, and be helpful to pass the appreciation of it on to future generations.

Have at it, all comments are welcome.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 06/06/15 12:39 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.