May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jtplumb, Jolly Bill, canvasback, bushveld), 432 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,552
Posts546,239
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

an after thought- maybe some older posts on this subject could be linked to this new venue to get it started - I sometimes save a thread as a favorite because of the information in there - so that I don't have to search for it

such as this one, because of the stock head repair photos

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=397782&Searchpage=3&Main=34147&Words=stock+%2Brepair&Search=true#Post397782

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great idea, Osthaus. But To do it Dave would have to give the keys to a moderator to unlock and move these threads from the past. He just doesn't have the time to wade through all the posts.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: OH Osthaus
an after thought- maybe some older posts on this subject could be linked to this new venue to get it started - I sometimes save a thread as a favorite because of the information in there - so that I don't have to search for it

such as this one, because of the stock head repair photos

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=397782&Searchpage=3&Main=34147&Words=stock+%2Brepair&Search=true#Post397782

Absolutely. One of the first things to do once the forum is established would be to solicit recommendations from everyone as to what previous threads should be moved to the new forum.

One of the essential rules of the new forum would be in regard to critiques and criticism. All must be constructive, with an alternative presented along with the critique. No "Hit and Run" comments, nor would non-constructive comments posted due to previous personal issues between the two members be tolerated.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 06/06/15 10:46 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Ken, it really needs doing and may help organize this library known as the BBS. I think Dave should appoint someone as Moderator (you?) to keep it tidy and on point.

Since Joe volunteered you, I would second that. Hopefully, it wouldn't add time or expense for the host.

Maybe a read only 'craft' archive subforum that links back to the original thread so some potentially huge contributors can visit their favorite areas without getting lectures about placing the thread in the correct forum, and folks might comment or resurrect threads in its original location.

It could be hugely helpful and unique to preserve pictures that tend to fade away. There're nondiy threads that might be included, engraving styles, rare patents, complicated cnc machining, technical comments about unobtanium guns, and tons of etc., etc.

Thanks in advance for your help. Start digging and noting the good threads, others might pm you with threads to save. Later today a five year old picture may be lost. Just kidding Ken, I think it's a good idea, but potentially time consuming to set up, and likely to require maintenance. Huge potential, but it risks being a small 'club' that withers away if there're rules and hoops to jump through.

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I hadn't thought about being the Moderator. I guess I've kind'a inadvertently stepped in that one. I'd be happy to do it.

As long as it's understood that my main function, along with maintaining gentlemanly decorum, would be to facilitate the free flow of information, not to function as some type of "Expert" in my own right. After all, virtually all of my knowledge is second-hand, the vast majority of it coming from this Board.

One note on picture posting. I'm not sure about this, but when someone uses a picture posting site like photobucket, once the picture is removed from the site or the account is closed, it's no longer available for viewing. I think if JPGBOX is used as a Guest, the photo doesn't disappear. If anyone knows different, please post.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great idea Ken, and it sounds like something I'd check almost every day and refer to on a regular basis. A lot of good comments have already been posted on keeping it on point and free from extraneous clutter to simplify searching. I don't know how you keep guys from posting stuff like "Who can remove my barrel dents?" versus, "This is how I remove barrel dents." Only the latter belongs in your proposed sub-forum.

I have used the search function here to find things that are much more than a year old, but it is tough and I always have to play around because I forget how I did it, and then have to re-learn it.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First step would be to ban many of the "How to " videos from YouTube being referenced and linked .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that is a great idea, and would add a visit to my daily doublegunshop check in.

Is it possible for one of the computer literate folks to move some of the existing DIY/Build threads to that new forum?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it a good idea. I for one do not aspire to be a gunsmith/restorer. It will save some of us from all this "drivel" about 'wantabe' gunsmiths. This is meant to be a constructive response.

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In my opinion, one of the most important "Themes" of the forum should be Historical Accuracy, essential to the concept of "Restoration". Hopefully the experts here on the various manufacturers will continue to contribute. For example, in a past thread we discussed original finish for Parkers. For non-custom guns from the factory, shellac (French Polished) was determined to have been used, essentially the same shellac sold by Zinssers today.

Various other threads have discussed British finishes, some recreatable and some not, with members providing recipes and insights on their use. It provided other options than always resorting to a bottle of Tru-Oil, as far as for those concerned with original type finishes.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.