June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (bushveld, azgreg, Kip, MattH, 1 invisible), 382 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,011
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This was sent to me by a friend. I send this to all you dog lovers who have lost a buddy.

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very much attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer.

I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker' s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why." Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life --like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply, Speak
kindly. Leave the rest

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can appreciate that perspective and agree with it whole heartedly .. and it is a fitting post for three sevens.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know I have lost my last 3 dogs to cancer, along with a cat. What's up with that? I don't recall losing any my childhood dogs to cancer. As a Vet, are you seeing this trend?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, Thank you for sharing that wonderful story. "From the mouths of babes...." Very touching to me at least.
Best, Walt

Sidelock
Sidelock

As old dogs leave us puppies join us. Nothing brings more hope to a family than a new puppy. I know, I just got one for my grandaughter. What a thrill to watch a child and a dog bond.

Jim

There is a slight chance that meats containing growth or related hormones cause cancers. This was/is a problem in humans - and a major case involved "overmedication" of liveswtock in Puerto
Rico where there was at least one notable cancer case of a little girl. That was attributed to a growth hormone.

My best chihuahua developed a couple bumps which resembled small subcutaneous boils. I considered the meat issue and went to premium dog foods. The bumps disappeared but small ones developed again so it's back to premium dry food and things not likely to contain hormones or other chemicals.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,

Thank you. That is very nice.

Pete

WHAT AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT MR. SCHILLER, THANKS FOR SHARING SUCH OF WONDERFUL MOMENT WITH US TODAY.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had read that somewhere and recently posted it in paraphrase in response to a similiar question over on SSM. I really just got the essense of it as my memory sometimes fails me. Its one of the best....thanks for posting it. It just makes you want to give your dogs a hug!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.