June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Licensed to kill, tut, SKB, 2 invisible), 331 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,984
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

"[i]back in the day we didn't quite know how to handle the top line of the grip and the transition to the point of the comb [/i]"

A lot of stockmakers still don't. This is arguably the most difficult, and most influential line in the entire framework of stock architecture. I'm experimenting with a Krag pattern stock at the moment and just did some "adjusting" of the top tang line, a risky and permanent modification. I reshape top tangs on some single shot actions, Hagn, Dakota for example and have radically altered the top tang on double shotguns as anyone who has read about my Fox project knows.

Re-contouring a Mauser tang is required these days to achieve a good looking, and handling grip. I agree that the American Classic stock architecture was still evolving, and probably still is. And that Ed Shulin had much influence on the American Classic Style by training all the stockmakers he did, and teaching the cardinal rules.

One of those rule that I often still see violated is the need to have the comb nose very nearly exactly above the middle of the grip cap. Notice how the comb nose is in front of that point on Dan's .25 Souper sporter above, and how cramped the grip is?

The grip area of the stock behind the trigger and back of the action to the back of the grip and front of the cheekpiece is the most important to the look of the stock. That area is the place a stock can be made beautiful, or completely screwed up.

I also believe that in this case form follows function and a good looking grip will almost always make for a good handling rifle.

Hagn with tang altered nearly 1/8"

Dakota (.257R) with altered top tang, reshaped safety, replaced trigger, t-guard and re-contoured lever. All mods in the area suggested above.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that the top of the grip is critical and that grip line on the Hagn is almost perfect.

But the other line that I really tend to notice is the buttplate. the Hagn is, again, almost ideal in my opinion - for both form and function. But why the big screw heads protruding on that grip plate? They really detract from that elegant curve and taper.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
big screw heads protruding on that grip plate?

Did you mean buttplate?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. I don't know why I typed grip cap...

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.