May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 279 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,556
Posts546,277
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

My collection is small by some of the standards I see above. Both of my sons hunt, and my guess is the grand kids will too. So I will hand them down.

Although I own a dozend or so weapons, I really only use two shotguns, a 16 bore for grouse/woodcock and a 12 bore for pheasant. I am a firm believer in getting to know one or two guns well. The balance my sons use, and more than a couple gather dust. The dust collectors will go if my sons are not interested in them.

However, I also adhere to the philosophy of a grouse hunting buddy "I don't know how many guns I own but I know I need one more".

Enjoy, and Chuck how did the surgery turn out for your pup?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know my half of the tax refund is gone on a Savage 23B, a Philly SW 16 and a Flues SBT. I'm not in debt, I just don't have any money. I guess I culled my--uh--cull-ection. No cut barrels, no basket cases, no Parker or Fox derelicts, no curiously soft Torreador guns, no projects, only two barrel sets with internal pitting, fewer modern Brownings, more Supers, fewer roller-stamped field grades, more with genuwine scratchin, everything functioning well enuf to pass the 4 squads of skeet test. Also noticed the Noah's Ark phenom--two of some makers, usually different grade or model. That is the way you do it right? Let me know if I should be doing it some other way.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Within the last few years or so I sold a Ruger red label, 20 gauge at a whooping 7 1/2 lbs, a model 12 that kept jamming from my reloads, a Flues 20 gauge, another 20 that was way to heavy for the gauge, a Remington 1100, well it was an autoloader, a 12 gauge LC Smith (FW) that I wish I could get that one back, a 16 Gauge Ithaca NID, that was again way to heavy for the gauge, a Ruger Gold Label to pay to have my Arrieta re-stocked............Ahhhhhhhh my Arrieta!!!!!
All the best

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bobby,
NOBODY said anything about getting down to 2 or 3 sxs's.

Chicago,
Jas went to the finest Vetinary doctors and surgeons and I spent more'n most of my horses each cost me, but I feel good about the decision and she's doing much better. Ask me if I'd spend that much fixing a horse and I'd have to really give it a lot of thought. Jas is my buddie and she'll get the best I can afford even if I had to give up a double or two, but I doubt it'll come to that as she's healthy now. It was a thing they generically are calling "elbow dysplasia" which is a really broad non-discript term. It turned out to be a coronoid sumptin or another, which is a loose bone/cartiledge piece on the outside of the elbow joint, that should have fused. The loose piece irritates the joint causing pain after activity, not limiting performance at this stage but apparently could lead to early arthritis if not treated. She's looking really good performance wise and improving daily. She's gonna start physical conditioning and training again soon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm down to one in shotgun dept. It's a work of art and a bird gun rolled into one, so I'm keeping it.
Johnny has 60 pieces, or so in his collection, I can't even imagine owning that many. I do have many valuable stamps and 50+ bottles of wine in my cellar though.

Bargain basket-case guns and faraway-from-cool project guns have kept many a man from scoring his true prize when the moment of truth confronts. The loftiest vows of "never" turn into pollen when the cherry gun surfaces at less than market and the jungle telegraph has not yet started. When I open the safe to go afield I hear, "Take me! Take me!" Dogs, friends, and birds are never disappointed. Cycle them back at will into the marketplace and keep the needy and wanty in play. KBM

Sidelock
Sidelock

I almost replaced my 201e with Teddy Williams S.Roebuck 400 20br. Four hundred bucks is what it takes to buy a real good shotgun. I wanted to pocket 2K in the process, but have too many 12br 2.5" Pb and 2&3/4" non-tox loads on hand, so I didn't go that route.
PS. Thank God I didn't buy that Henry Atkin SLE, because I would have been down by 16K (the thing was in very good original condition).
Twenty two hundred $ dust collector is bad enough, there is no need to get 16k mop!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

I have been luckey and the 8 or 9 that I have are staying. I know enough now that I don't but any chaff but I don't think I am done buying. It is just to much fun.

Glad to hear your dog is doing well after some surgery. When my first springer was 4 yrs. old I spent over 6K keeping her alive. I questioned myself several times during the 6 months she was sick. I have spent several K more since taking care of her. For it I got to hunt over one of the best springers I have ever seen for many more years. She just turned 13 on April 24. That for me makes it well worth the price. I hunted her this year just for an hour or so and you can still see the desire and heart she has even if the legs and muscle are not the same. I am sure you will feel the same 10 or 12 years from now.

Bill G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm plagued with heavy barrel rifles,heavy rifles and long barrel shotguns.....I'd swap em all for one outrageous semi-gaudy trap gun. No regrets.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Posted by PaulJ:

Quote:
Twenty two hundred $ dust collector is bad enough, there is no need to get 16k mop!

... and if wishes were horses? I guess we won't go there.

jack

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.